Projector no signal in 3D mode - solved

Thanks, in that case I will test moving the Vero and connecting with the short cable $5 I used with the 3D plasma.

This won’t be a usable solution as I won’t have ethernet or audio connections but useful troubleshooting none the less.

Success - finally!

The Vero installed an update
Enabled “Lock HDMI HPD” and rebooted
Enabled “Mute HDMI audio output”

All 3D files are now playing successfully.
Using the same standard HDMI cable to the projector’s HDMI 2 (1.4) input with optical audio to my receiver.

1 Like

“Lock HDMI HPD” was the fix.

I presume that the projector must be attempting a handshake after the Vero starts 3D playback which this setting is ignoring?

When the projector switches to 3D/1080P (silent) mode it disables the pixel shifting to become a native 1080p projector.

Great to hear. Just out of academic interest, could you post logs like before with the audio sync component turned on again. Your last logs were spewing out a ton of errors which we thought were related to ‘no signal’. But it looks now like an unrelated HDMI signalling problem.

Here you go

Working - HPD lock enabled
https://paste.osmc.tv/jafoxajote

Not working (no signal) - HPD lock disabled
https://paste.osmc.tv/cahasoputo

1 Like

For future reference I’ve just solved my HD audio problem as well.

For whatever reason, even though it should, my receiver (Sony STR-DN1070) won’t pass through 3D video, which had forced me to connect the Vero directly to HDMI 2 on the projector and use optical audio to the receiver.

I was resigned to this solution, due to the cost of the recommend HDFury splitters, and living with lossy AC3 audio over SPDIF from the Vero.

While at my local computer store, I found a cheap HDMI splitter with “Good Compatibility” and “EDID function”, so I thought I’d give it a shot and return it when it didn’t work.

Installation was a breeze,
With this in the path everything works exactly as I would want.

I have 3 OSMC activities programmed into my Harmony Hub as below.

OSMC 3D
To watch 3D content on the projector I use one of the splitter outputs to HDMI 2 on the projector for video, and the other splitter output the receiver.
This gives me 1080P/24 3D and full HD audio support.

OSMC Projector
To watch non-3D up to 4K content on the projector, I use the splitter output connected to the receiver, HDMI 1 on the projector is connected to the HDMI output B on the receiver.
This gives my full 4K support on the projector with full HD audio support.

OSMC TV
To watch up to 4K content on the TV, I use the splitter output connected to the receiver, HDMI 2 on the TV is connected to the HDMI output A on the receiver.
This gives me full 4K support on the TV with stereo audio through the TV speakers, or full HD audio if I turn the receiver on.

OSMC audio is configured to 2.0 channels and audio passthrough with all formats enabled.
i have settled on the EDID mode “4K60 7.2” as the “MIX2” mode I tried first blocked HDR for some reason.

I will only need to tweak OSMC audio settings if watching something with unsupported audio on my TV, but should be using the Vero mostly for movies on the projector.

HPD lock is no longer required to get a 3D video signal to the projector, but I lose audio to the receiver if I don’t enable it.

Happy days.

3 Likes

Good to hear, but I’m guessing this setup has a very low WAF. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lol, it is easy to use with the harmony setup, one button to configure everything for the activity.

She’s not really interested anyway and only watches bad foreign romance dramas on her tablet.

Glad to hear that things are solved.

There are things that our support team are unable to fix.

This is one of those things.

2 Likes

Another quick update which may be useful for other OSMC noobs.

For some reason the 4K60 mode only supported HDR on the projector sometimes, and not at all on the TV.

I have solved this by changing to the 4KHDR EDID setting on the HDMI splitter.
The downside is that 3D doesn’t work with the splitter set to 4KHDR which is why I wasn’t using this mode.

After a forum search, I have fixed this by adding the 3D mode “1080p24Hz FramePacking” to /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap_3d to override the EDID, so I now have 3D and 4KHDR support.

I am still having issues with HD audio passthrough not always working so have disabled this and am using multi-channel PCM instead.

1 Like