R1 Star Trek Deep Space Nine framerate issues

One solution to this is to force the rip to stay at 30000/1001 fps, instead of trying to deal with the changing film/video sections. You’d have to re-encode to get the best quality, because you’d have to do some processing that keeps the video at the same frame rate while cleaning up the interlace artifacts.

What you don’t want to do is let the Kodi or the Vero 4K chipset try to do the cleanup themselves, because they might pay attention to the “duplicate field” flags, and attempt to change the output frame rate, which is what causes the problem.

Think I’ll pass on re-encoding 170+ episodes! If I’m that keen to watch them, I can simply use a Pi with OMX player enabled as that runs at a fixed framerate based on what it detects at the beginning. My testing with Kodi 18 was limited but based on a short test, it was performing correctly.

how to solve synic issues?

I have no issues with any of my native-format content. 24p conversions via Handbrake have generally been fine as well but these days I stick with native content as I long since stopped buying R1 DVDs.

I happen to have the DS9 R1 box set that I ripped using MakeMKV, with no additional processing, so my copy should be identical to yours.

I hadn’t watched it in a while, so I decided to watch S01E01 and I can confirm that there is an issue. I had thought it was fixed a few months ago, but I never actually watched this one to test the fix. I had the same issue with Little House on the Prairie so that’s why I thought the issue was fixed.

Does your mediainfo look like this:

Duration                                 : 1 h 30 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 5 280 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 9 800 kb/s
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 24.121 FPS
Original frame rate                      : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS

Do you have the same problem with later episodes? I did some spot checking, and it seems that the issue is on the first 3 seasons. Starting with Season 4, the problem does not happen for me.

One thing in the mediainfo that caught my eye, from S01E01:

Scan type                                : Progressive
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.633
Time code of first frame                 : 00:59:58;04

and from S04E01:

Scan type                                : Progressive
Scan order                               : 2:3 Pulldown
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.601
Time code of first frame                 : 00:59:58;00

Notice the scan order?

Apologies for a belated reply, yes my mediainfo matches yours. I suppose there are authoring issues here? I only looked at a few episodes and I recall that later ones did not seem to have the problem. I guess it’s unlikely these will ever be re-built as per the TNG blu-rays, but it looks like it won’t be that long until Kodi 18 is stable enough for general use, and that seems to cope better.

Time to resurrect this old thread!

So I have some TV shows on NTSC DVD I was looking to watch on the Vero.
Using MakeMKV to just do a remux gives files that the Vero really doesn’t like.
MPEG2 with variable frame rates just kills the hardware decoder.
If I disable the hardware decoder it’s a little bit better but the TV will drop picture when the frame rate changes, as to be expected with the adjust display refresh rate setting.
Now in this particular show, the show starts at 24fps (23.976 to be exact) then switches to 30fps for the title sequence (29.97 to be exact), then back to 24fps for the rest of the show.
So if I encode it to x264/5 using a constant 24fps it plays fine but the title sequence is juddery.
Not a big deal since I usually skip it, but frustrating none the less.
I prefer to leave all my stuff as remuxes since drive space is not an issue and encoding gobbles up tons of CPU time and effort.
If I wanted to play the remuxed MPEG2 variable frame rate files, what would be the best settings on the Vero, just disable adjust display refresh rate?
Will audio passthrough still work?
Or maybe I should just encode the file to 120fps which is perfectly divisible by both 24 and 30 so there wont be any frame interpolation, but will the Vero output 1080p at 120fps?
I know my TV supports that but not sure the Vero does.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
I have potentially 70 episodes to encode.

PS: I considered just using the discs with the stand alone DVD player and not the Vero but then I have to sit through unskippable FBI warnings and DVD menus… YUCK!

PPS: for anyone interested in the OPs original issue, which is related to mine, further reading can be found here: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/309653-deep-space-nine-upscale-project-update-variable-frame-rate-dvds-can-burn-in-hell