[RC] - Added WIFI adapter support requests - Official topic

Are people having any strange problems getting the Edimax EW-7811UTC working reliably? It does seem to work some of the time, but hangs a lot during the scan of media when Kodi starts up, or drops off the wifi now and again. very random. I’ve updated to RC3 which doesn’t seem to have helped. Also using a good 3A power supply with the RPi2 with only a USB iR adapter, which if I unplug doesn’t help either. I also tried enabling the extra USB power Pi setting and using a powered USB hub which didn’t help either.

I’m wondering if my Edimax EW-7811UTC is faulty, however does seem to work more reliably near the router, although it’s not that far from it in the Lounge (one floor down vs one room away). I wondered about trying the EW-7811USC as this has a high gain antenna, but I’m not sure if this needs another driver or would help anyway?

Plus it works in my PC fine, and I get very good speeds ~20-25MB/s! with it in the same place in my lounge.

Or have I got a slightly different version of the EW-7811UTC, so the driver doesn’t quite match or something?

I believe this wifi dongle is draft ac, so maybe I need to try a final ac dongle. Which are supported/tested?

Here is my output… is something wrong the fact it says it couldn’t open device?

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:a812 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd
Couldn’t open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x7392 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd
idProduct 0xa812
bcdDevice 2.00

Let me know how to provide more detailed logs if that would help.

Thanks