[RC] - Added WIFI adapter support requests - Official topic

No, it’s not: I’m using it with my RPi2, it connects to my AC router over 5GHz (AC), utilizing 433MBit (at best, usually 390MBit, 1x1 MIMO) and runs rockstable for hours and hours using OSMC RC3…

I have an Edimax EW-7811UTC and it does work on 5Ghz on OSMC RC2/RC3.

There is no way (without installing additional wireless tools) to force it to always connect on 5Ghz if you have the same SSID for both bands though.

But if like me you have a different SSID for each band you should be able to connect to the 5Ghz SSID without problems.

root@osmc:~# sudo apt-get install usbutils
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package usbutils

This is RC3 on a Pi B. The dongle I’m attempting to use is an rtl8191 300M of some kind. “Realtek RTL8192EU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter”, according to Device Manager.

sudo apt-get update first?

P.S. check PM, you need to change your nick, potentially offensive.

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Couldn’t open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0bda Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
idProduct 0x818b
bcdDevice 2.00
iManufacturer 1
iProduct 2
iSerial 3
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 53
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xe0
Self Powered
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 5
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 2
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x84 EP 4 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x05 EP 5 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x06 EP 6 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x87 EP 7 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 3
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x08 EP 8 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0

Same here on Pi B with OSMC RC3. I tried compiling the provided driver, as well as the one you linked, but I’m Linux ignorant. I used:

sudo sh install.sh

This gave me MANY MANY MANY messages like:

/clean: Cannot change ownership to uid 400, gid 401: Operation not permitted

I eventually end up with some:

unexpected operator

and of-course:

Authentication requested [root] for make driver:
install.sh: 48: [: unexpected operator
bash: make: command not found
##################################################
Compile make driver error: 127
Please check error Mesg
##################################################
osmc@osmc:/media/E431-C359/V4.2.2_7585.20130524$ Compile make driver error: 127
-bash: Compile: command not found

Mine connects to my AC router over 5GHz (AC), utilizing 433MBit (at best, usually 390MBit, 1x1 MIMO) but DOESN’T run rock stable at all…

What router do you have?
What PSU are you using?

I’ve got a good router - Asus RT-AC66U and this dongle is 100% perfect on a Windows 7 PC in the same location.

Thanks

I’m using an AVM Fritz!Box 7490 (Germany here), said Edimax 600AC USB stick, RPi2 and a Samsung Tablet PSU (EP-TA10EWE, output 5,3V@2A) which occasionally gives me that coloured square in the top right of my TV anyway, but never made my RPi crash yet.

Keep in mind that WLAN AC (or 5GHz WLAN at all) isn’t capable of bypassing the same distance as 2.4GHz just can (penetration of walls, signal loss because of water conduits etc.) - in my scenario it has to bypass 2 walls, but the overall distance to the router itself is only ~3,5m…

So it’ll most probably depend on your environment - but as far as my experiences go, that stick simply runs rockstable and quite fast (I think it almost exhausts the RPi2’s USB bandwith, but I’m going to replace my mSD-card soon and the PSU and test further (GOD, THIS PI IS SOO MUCH FUN TO HAVE :slight_smile: ) using OSMC with it - which makes me believe that Sam’s/OSMC’s driver compilation just went pretty fine :wink:

Thanks for the details. Few things you mention are interesting, your using a slightly higher rated PSU than me, mine is output 5V@2A. However I never have seen a coloured square in the top corner on the TV. I’ve looked out for it as well. Also tried a PSU with an output of 5V@3A. In fact the PSU output 5V@2A seems more stable… slightly!

I’m thinking about buying a PSU off ebay the same as yours rated 5.3V@2A. Maybe that might make the difference?

Have you enabled the extra power option to the USB ports (can’t remember exactly how it’s worded) in the my osmc > pi config menu?

Mine has to go through a wall and a floor and probably about 3m away from the router. The thing is I know it’s not my router because the same dongle in my Windows 7 media PC right next to the RPi2 performs at 433Mbit like it should - I get a consistent 20-25MB/s. That is rock solid all the time.

I’m going to change my PSU to the 5V/2A one offered by the RPi foundation these days, hoping that this funny square will eventually never appear again…

No, I didn’t enable USB extra power yet, but am going to try that also after I’ve moved to a faster mSD card (SanDisk Extreme 32GB, already lying on my desk, but didn’t find the time yet).

My experience concerning the WiFi’s signal strenght is that I had to carefully adjust the RPi’s position: even a slight move might lower or raise it, so in the end I did put a short and flexible USB extension between the RPi and the Edimax stick to be able to ‘play’ with its position relative to my router…

Anyway, due to the fact that the mSD I’m using right now cannot write more than ~17MB/s when plugged into the RPi, I’m hoping to gain some more speed after changing it and raising the USB power.

This would be the best course of action before you begin to explore other causes for poor WiFi performance.

If you feel adventurous, then check out the new Pi SD driver thread.

Sam

Right I’m going to buy a PSU 5V/2A one offered by the RPi foundation and see if that helps me.

Sam, what new Pi SD driver thread??

This one: [TEST] New Raspberry Pi SD card driver

Could SD card compatibility affect the wifi / USB ports or general stability?

Would you two mind taking the off topic convo to a new thread?

kthx

Sorry, you’re right, it’s off topic, but it also isn’t a conversation as I just linked the thread mentioned by Sam concerning that new SDcard driver, and CaptainFred just got curious about that…

Anyway, I just recognized while testing that new sd-driver and activating ‘max_usb_current=1’ in /boot/config.txt that my iperf throughput went up to 170Mbps (+35Mbps!) tops using that given Edimax 600AC USB adapter and that 5V/2A PSU from RaspberryPi Foundation (merely ~9€ here in Germany, incredible!) - and I DID NOT get this funny coloured square in the top right of my screen yet!

As far as SD card compatibility goes: if it boots, you’re good to go. Boosting performance on the RPi2 will always be achieved by overclocking, and that definitely depends on your RPi, your PSU and your mSD-card.

My RPi2 is running at these specs:
over_voltage=0
force_turbo=0
core_freq=500
gpu_mem_1024=320
initial_turbo=0
max_usb_current=1
arm_freq=1000
sdram_freq=483
(… and some more, but not relevant to this thread, if at all (as ActionA already kindly suggested…))

And of course the MT7601 but I think this is in the pipeline for next release (?).

It is

Product name: LB-Link bl-wdn600
chipset: MT7610U
Product id: 0x7610
Vendor id: 0x0E8D
many thanks

Product name: TP-LINK Archer T2U
Chipset: Ralink RT2870
Product ID: 0x761a
Vendor ID: 0x148f

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 148f:761a Ralink Technology, Corp.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.01
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x148f Ralink Technology, Corp.
idProduct 0x761a
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1
iProduct 2
iSerial 3
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 74
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0

1 Like

Hi folks,

Here’s my wireless adapter, its a TP-Link AC 600 device. Really really hope you can include this in the next update.

Product name: TP-LINK Archer T2UH
Chipset: MediaTek MT7610U
Product ID: 0x761a
Vendor ID: 0x148f

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:761a Ralink Technology, Corp.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.01
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x148f Ralink Technology, Corp.
idProduct 0x761a

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/cat-11_Archer-T2UH.html#specifications

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_T2UH

2 Likes