Sharing Kodi database, thumbnails and settings?

Sigh. Its always a bad sign when I fail on step 1…

I downloaded and installed mysql but when I try:

sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql and enter my password I get:

jbuccino@Joes-2019-MBP Downloads % sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
Password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)
jbuccino@Joes-2019-MBP Downloads %

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

If you installed MariaDB, try sudo mysql

If you installed MySQL try sudo mysql -u root -p

Is this OSMC?

To add extra challenge and fun, the Forum rules won’t let me reply to a topic for another 5 hours…

If you installed MariaDB, try sudo mysql
If you installed MySQL try sudo mysql -u root -p

jbuccino@Joes-2019-MBP Downloads %
Is this OSMC?

Yes, it is OSMC. I am trying to follow (for Mac)
The recommended way is to use a common database (via MYSQL).
https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

Which, of course, has no reference to “-u root -p”. But I tried that and got the mysql command line and entered (as instructed)

• CREATE USER 'kodi' IDENTIFIED BY 'kodi';
  • GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi';

Both commands gave a response
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

I exited and went to /usr/local/mysql/support-files/ as instructed but there is no my-huge.cnf

Here is the directory I see:
jbuccino@Joes-2019-MBP support-files % ls -al
total 40
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 160 Dec 9 14:52 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root wheel 416 Feb 17 15:05 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 root wheel 2048 Dec 9 14:31 mysql-log-rotate
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 10585 Dec 9 14:31 mysql.server
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1061 Dec 9 13:53 mysqld_multi.server
jbuccino@Joes-2019-MBP support-files %

Clearly the instructions are out of date or I am missing something. Does anyone have any ideas?

To avoid confusion I have moved all your posts to this thread.

Is the MySQL server installed on OSMC or the Mac? Where are you running the mysql command?

Well this reply might confuse people. So you are trying to install MySQL server on your MAC so this specific command line is not OSMC.

I am not a MAC person but few things to check do you have the file /etc/my.cnf?

Also maybe check this post with an alternative install method (would need to remove your current MySQL installation.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=151631&pid=1782101#pid1782101

If all that fails then drop the MAC idea and install it on the Vero.

I think there is issues with Kodi and some of the more current versions of MySQL. I think I might of read somewhere Kodi might drop support for it in the future. Installing MariaDB is probably the smarter option.

OK. I wish I had know that. But I should have guessed when the instructions were clearly out of date. I’ll take a look around and see if I can find a primer on addressing my setup using MariaDB. Thanks. Right now I am a little bit reluctant but I’ll build up the nerve to try again.

Everything on Kodi’s side is the same with either database as MariaDB is a fork of MySQL. I don’t use a Mac and can’t really help there, but if you can get the install and database user and permissions figured out there then all you need to do client side is input the server information into the MyOSMC add-on (it will make the advancedsettings.xml file for you).

Right. Thanks. I’ll search around for how to “get the install and database user and permissions figured out” on the Mac. I would think that someone has figured that out. I’ll try and hunt it down.

Have you followed the official MariaDB instructions?

Not yet. I was going to read through it tonight and see if I could figure out what parts of the MYSQL instructions might apply. (Like do I need the CREATE USER, and cnf file parts.) I can see why the Kodi process might be the same but I suspect that some of this may be necessary as well.

You will still need to create a user with full permissions just as it outlines in the instructions you read with MySQL.

How are you getting on with this?

This thread is now part of the undead. :slight_smile:

I’m looking to free up space on my Vero4k+ by moving the Thumbnails to my NAS. Is the path substitution still the preferred way to accomplish this? I was reading in even older threads that symlinks were the preferred method.

Also, is it still impossible to share a NAS-based thumbnails folder with multiple clients? I do use a shared MariaDB, the advancedsettings.xml is set up correctly on all clients, and all clients use the exact same network paths in their sources.

Thanks!

Path substitution works without issue from my testing. Although, if your Thumbnails folder is excessively large it may have a lot of old abandoned artwork in it and you might consider just deleting it and lettings Kodi rebuild which it will do on the fly as needed.

Yes. The issue is that Kodi doesn’t have a method of putting the texture13.db in the shared database and that is where it tracks the thumbs. Since you can’t share a SQLite db this means that if you copied the same db to each client and path subbed each to the same network location they would all work but over time the individual clients would end up caching at different times and using different file names and you would at some point start getting incorrect images on different clients.

1 Like

Thanks for the info and explanation. I’ve gone ahead and moved my thumbnails to the share and it’s working nicely.

I’ve rebuilt the folder from scratch in the past, but it just goes right back up to a similar size in a relatively short amount of time.

1 Like

The proper way to share thumbnails for movies and tv shows is to place those thumbnails in the folder where the movie or tv show is made. For example, you could have a poster of the movie Gladiator. The movie filename is Gladiator (2000).mkv. The poser would be Gladiator (2000)-poster.png When KODI adds the movie to its library, it will use the stored poster in the folder if it is correctly named.

That isn’t quite what is being discussed. Regardless of if Kodi gets artwork locally or online it still resizes and caches all art in a “Thumbnails” folder. This folder, and the relocating of it to another location to free up space on the internal storage, is what is at question.

1 Like

DD is correct in what this thread is about, but I still appreciate your contribution because I wish Thumbnails worked the way fanart does! Then, we could have a shared Thumbnails folder for all clients, which is what I was hoping might be possible at this point. Oh well…