[SOLVED] April 2019 update error - failed to allocate memory

You are not going to fix a failing SD card, you will fix one thing, then the next corrupt file will appear. And then the next, and the next. Stop wasting your time, get a new SD card (and back up your .kodi before the card completely fails, but at this point I would not trust a .kodi backup)

I hear ya, been on the fence about it, and already prepared for a new build. In fact, yesterday I installed to a new SD card, and have a very recent Borg archive that I plan to extract key files and directories from to minimize configuration of the new install …

The problem is those files may also be corrupt. Be very careful doing this. But then again, it is a new install and you can always start over again if have problems. Just keep good track of what you are restoring so you can skip the corrupt stuff on the next attempt.

Ah, good point – I was overlooking that it is the files that are corrupt, not the file system, due to the failing sd card …

I’d suggest to try with /home/osmc/.kodi. That has most of the Kodi specific customization, and is easy to back off if it doesn’t work.

Good suggestion. My biggest concern is tvheadend – lot’s of time put in to channel scanning, epg grabbing, and picon matching …

Deletion of the corrupted files allowed for a dist-upgrade. I then force reinstalled said packages and everything appears to be in working order …

There was a power outage recently that I suspect caused the corruption. We’ll see if more issues crop up pointing to a failing sd card.

Thank you all for your input and help, especially @dillthedog.

Do you really think that the file corruptions will be confined to that one directory?

No, but it got me over the update hump so I can get a feel for v18 and keep the system patched until I find the time to finish the clean install on the new SD card.

I’m not trying to be rude here, but you’ve been trying to fix this failing SD card for 12 days now!

How long to do you think it would have taken if you had just installed on a new SD card and restored the .kodi directory (and if that failed just starting over)? Do you really think it would have taken 12 days???

I hear ya, no offense taken! It’s less about the time and more about ferreting out the problem. Indeed, a new build could have been completed in less time, I suppose. :wink:

1 Like