[Solved] [RC] Install failed: can't mount root

@domi2205
Seem like you have a damaged sector on your usb stick then. not much you can do about that

uhm, I don’t use an USB stick, as I said it’s a micro SD Card and at the moment I’m pretty confused because the card is brand new and works perfectly on any other system :frowning:

No clue to what it could be then, other than you might have a fake card that reports more space than there actually are. So unless you bought it from a trusted source, like a known store or alike, i would go do some read write tests on the card. like move a file around 25-30GB to the card and see of you can read the file without errors after transfer is complete. If you can’t, then it’s a fake, and then that’s your issue. Often they have like a 2-4GB of chip but the controller reports 32GB and the case and box it comes in looks authentic so any one can be fooled easily, ive been fooled once, lucky for me i didn’t pay much and the store i bought it in replaced it with an authentic twice the size as an apology.

No the card is original I purchased it on amazon. But I found another SD card at home (8GB) and was able to install osmc without any problems.

:slight_smile:

Well just because it’s from Amazon doesn’t mean that it’s authentic, thats a common mistake :slight_smile:

This is most likely too late for the original poster, but I had the same issue and worked through it quite simply, it was an entirely ‘noobie’ mistake to make - In my case my MicroSD card had a single partition created on it which had the entire drive space assigned to it, as such the installer was unable to create a secondary partition on which to install the software (and make bootable). - So, ensure that the installer software is on a small partition leaving plenty of unpartitioned space remaining on the card for the install process to use. - Hope this helps someone at some point.

Other general tips for other noobies out there - 1) Leave space on the media for the operating partition to be installed; 2) FAT32 formatting for primary partition (where you place the installation files), 3) remember to mark primary partition active and make bootable. - Once I got all three of these sorted, I was fine.

I really don’t know what you’re talking about here - the OSMC installer writes the entire image file to the SD card with the correct size FAT32 partition, then when the target installer runs (the first boot on the Pi where it says installing) it partitions the rest of the SD card automatically and installs the OS there.

Regardless of whether you use the OSMC installer or something like win32diskimager to directly image the unzipped image file, no manual partitioning is needed. It is all handled for you automatically.

So if the contents of the image are copied manually onto an sd card without using the installer, onto the only, single and fully allocated partition… When run for the first time, it will run and attempt to install, but… As I said, if there’s no space remaining on the sd card then you get the ‘cannot mount root’ error.

That’s my experience and possibly the cause of others’ similar errors too. - perhaps we all didn’t use the installer??

The install image contains a partition table already with a single 240MB fat partition - you don’t “copy” the install image to the card as a file, you write it as an image to the first 240MB of the disk - this overwrites any existing partition table.

Thus after writing the image you have a partition table with a single 240MB fat partition and the rest of the drive is unallocated with random data from any previous installs.

During the first boot the drive is non destructively repartitioned to add a second ext4 partition which is sized to fit all the remaining disk space and the OS is installed there.

The original fat partition remains and becomes the /boot partition with the kernel and Pi firmware files.

It definately works properly if you just write the raw image to the disk using dd or win32diskimager - I’ve done it many times. This is all the OSMC installer does as well - the only difference is it can also write a preseed.cfg to preconfigure your network settings.

There can’t be no space remaining on the drive unless your SD card is too small to fit an install of OSMC. I’m not sure what the bare minimum size would be but I’d say it’s probably about 2GB.

Thank you for your helpful replies.

However, you may be missing the point of my posts:

• I don’t have this issue any longer (the one reported by the original poster…)
  • I did have, I saw the same error messages.
  • I found out why, so I thought I’d share my findings.
  • obviously I didn’t use a correct method to initiate my install image, but I did get it to boot and attempt an install - that’s when I received the reported error state.

If anyone else has this same issue and searches for the error message, I’m hoping they’ll find these details:

• you, like me, likely stuffed up the prep of your installation sd card and ended up copying files over to a fully formatted card. The error code occurs when the installation is unable to create the second ext partition during installation, it is the unable to mount the root.

Prep it in the proper way and you won’t have this issue.

All of the other threads I’ve read about this talk about bad sectors on sd cards or trying other cards. They don’t stop to ask, how did you prep your install partition and is there space left on the sd card for the operational, secondary, ext partition to be created.

That’s all from me. Signing off now. Thanks. Over and out.

We recommend you use the OSMC installer in the future.

Sam

If you have copied extracted files onto a partition on the SD card you have installed it the wrong way - this is why you are having problems. Nowhere on our website does it recommend that you install using this method. This is something you can do for Noobs, not OSMC.

As I said earlier, if you are not using the OSMC installer then you must use a tool that writes a disk image directly to the drive. Such as win32diskimager on windows, disk utility or dd on a Mac, or dd on linux. Writing a disk image and copying files to an existing partition are not the same thing at all.

Simply copying extracted files onto an existing partition will not work properly because the installer is unable to repartition the drive as it is expecting to find a 240MB fat32 partition at the start of the drive followed by un-partitioned space for the remainder of the drive. This 240MB partition is already present inside the disk image.

There’s no bug here, you’re just not following the recommended install methods.

I have to agree with cretti. I had the same problem with my micro sd card. Definitely a genuine new card from amazon. I followed the advice to repartition ( I used gparted to partition my card) and then used image writer to transfer the extracted downloaded image to the sd card. Then booted/turned on the RPI2 and OSMC installed perfectly.

OP here. I guess I’m a bit late to the party, but thought I’d make clear that I did follow the installation procedures as outlined both times. So the reason for the first usb stick not working was not due to this error, as cretti suggested. I’m pretty sure there was something wrong with the first usb stick that I used.

Are you by any chance using a USB SD Card reader? Are you choosing “install to SD” and NOT “install to USB”?

1 Like

I did it correctly both times, using “install to USB”. I actually tried several times. So I’m quite certain there was something wrong with the first USB stick I used, as I had no such problem with the other one I used. I was quite puzzled to read all the hypothesises people came up with as to what I “could” have done. It’s pretty straight forward. Following the instructions on the site for how to install is what I did from the beginning, and it’s not rocket science. I’ve been using this software since it was called raspbmc from when the first raspberry pi came out. I know how to install the software.

I’d like to share my experience. Not sure if it’s related to your issue, but going through the tread didn’t see a root cause…
In my case I had same issue: prepared more than once the micro SD card using OSMCInstaller - same SD card stopped working - used a different card with same result.
I’m using a USB adapter to mount the micro SD on my Ubuntu 10.04 desktop.

What happened in my case is that I recently installed Ubuntu using the same USB adapter. In that case the system recognized the SD card as a USB memory (because of the adapter).

That option reset my mind and when preparing OSMC using OSMC Installer I selected “on a USB stick” instead of “on an SD card”.

The result was exactly the same described here: get the countdown for installing - then “Install failed: can’t mount root”

I’ve then prepared the same micro SD using the “on an SD card” option, and now everything works well.

Additional note: in one case I did a terrible error. An external disk was connected via USB to my Raspberry Pi2, and was not paying much attention to the process. The system asked “are you sure to xxsomethingxxx” and I replied yes. As a result my external disk was partitioned and formatted! Lost all data (I have backup…).
Don’t want to try again as I’m now busy with my disk restore, but it surprises me that I’m sure this option was not presented the first time I prepared the new non working SD…

This worked for me. I was installing to an SD card using a USB adapter on my PC; so I selected “Install to USB” in the OSMC installer… I forgive myself.
I was originally thrown by the Rpi3 printing something about overwriting files on the USB; there were no USB devices connected to the Pi.

So, if you’re putting OSMC onto an SD card, select “Install to SD”.

Since this thread is a year old, I think he’s sorted it.

Well, since I found it a year later, I’m sure others will end up here too. They’ll see the solution seconded by another user and may not need to look any further.

1 Like