Some questions about watching movies on my Pi 3+

I’m back again. My computer and my wife’s computer both have gigabit ethernet and Windows 10. We are connected to each other through the Linksys EA3500 router through the router’s gigabit ethernet connection. The Raspberry Pi 3+ is also connected there. All cabling is CAT6. My cable is 100’ to the router. My wife’s cable is 50’ to the router.

As a test I’m transferring a .mkv file that is about 9.3GB in size. Transferring from my computer to my wife’s computer through Windows Explorer takes a little over 2 minutes at around 70MB/s.

Transferring the same file from my wife’s computer to my computer is even faster - 1 minute 30 seconds at over 100MB/s.

Transferring the same file from my computer to the Pi with Windows Explorer takes 6 minutes at around 20MB/s.

Transferring the same file from my wife’s computer to the Pi with Windows Explorer takes takes the same 6 minutes at around 20MB/s.

Is the network performance of the Pi that much worse? I even did a clean install with a new SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC Memory Card Plus SD Adapter up to 100 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30, A1 - 64 GB

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I think you’ll find this informative…

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/getting-gigabit-networking

The Raspberry Pi model 3 B+ includes a Gigabit wired LAN adapter onboard—though it’s still hampered by the USB 2.0 bus speed (so in real world use you get ~224 Mbps instead of ~950 Mbps). So if you have a 3 B+, there’s no need to buy an external USB Gigabit adapter if you want to max out the wired networking speed!

The situation is pretty much as I described before if you’re still getting 190 Mbits/sec on incoming iperf3 figures to the Pi 3B+.

The PCs will probably have a bigger CPU, gigabit LAN interfaces and fast(er) disks, as well as no traffic contention over a single USB bus, so it’s unrealistic to expect the performance of a PC and a Pi to be similar.

Unfortunately, adding a 100 MB/s SD card isn’t going to help very much since the Pi’s SD card bus can’t handle such a speed. You could try to overclock the bus speed How to overclock the microSD card reader on a Raspberry Pi 3 | Jeff Geerling and see if it makes much of a difference.

When copying big files to the Pi if not limited by a network or other internal speed limitation it just comes down to the SD card write speed. You bought a class 10 card, so that means it should do 10 MB sustained write speed. The read speed is highly likely not equal to the write speed.
Try a simple test to see what your card can do in write

dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/osmc/test bs=8k count=50k; rm -f /home/osmc/test

Thanks, everybody!