SSL/TLS error connecting to network share over FTPS

Thanks Brian!

Further testing today has shown that unfortunately the NAS cannot maintain a sufficient upload speed as playback freezes every 5 minutes or so for a short period then resumes playback again.

I will have to try again with the data encryption disabled (and additional tweaks) to see if I get any better results and update in a few days.

Edit:
Ran some speed tests locally on my Vero 4K+ just to compare speeds with and without encryption etc. Results are below:

Local Vero 4K+ over FTPS with encryption
1583751276 bytes (1.6 GB, 1.5 GiB) copied, 1238.62 s, 1.3 MB/s

Local Vero 4K+ over FTPS without encryption
1583751276 bytes (1.6 GB, 1.5 GiB) copied, 719.265 s, 2.2 MB/s

Clear improvement on the Vero here. Will be able to run the same test on the RPi with remote FTP over the next few days or so.

I still wonder why you not just establish an openvpn connection instead which would not only allow you to access the media but being able to manage the devices remotely.

I don’t believe it’s possible to install openvpn on my D-link DNS 320. Also, I have zero experience with it.

I can already manage the RPi remotely, it’s just that it isn’t always online right now, hence the delay in testing I mentioned above.

Well as I understand from your posts your have the Vero in the same location as you DNS320 and the Pi is remote, or? In that case the Vero could be your openvpn server.

Yes, that is the correct description of my setup.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to go about this?

What are the benefits of this in comparison with my current setup?

As I understand it I could connect my remote RPi with regular unencrypted FTP to my local NAS, but that connection would be over openvpn and hence would benefit from encryption. is this correct?

Not sure if there is already a OSMC specific guide (maybe even in this forum). But these general guides work
https://wiki.debian.org/OpenVPN

Well for me the advantages are:

1. Separation of encryption and access technology (means additional security layer)
  2. More holistic approach as you could easily use shared services afterwards (not limited to media share but also use Remote Apps, Shared DB,…

Yes, unencrypted FTP, NFS, SMB, what ever is best technology in your setup.

But if you are happy with your current setup, not need to spend time.

thanks for the link, it seems rather daunting if I’m honest. I think I’ll wait until I get a stable unencrypted setup working then look into openvpn a bit further.

Speed test update

Remote Pi over FTPS with encryption
1583751276 bytes (1.6 GB, 1.5 GiB) copied, 2053.82 s, 771 kB/s

Remote Pi over FTPS without encryption
1583751276 bytes (1.6 GB, 1.5 GiB) copied, 2046.22 s, 774 kB/s

If I’m reading this correctly then encryption enabled has no real impact on speeds (in my circumstances at least), but the bottleneck appears to be the max upload speed of my fibre internet connection.

I though 6.7 Mbit/s up would have been enough but apparently it. I might get in touch with my ISP as a seem to recall this being close to 10 Mbit/s in the past.

Anyway, it seems I will have to lower the quality of videos I want to stream to the RPi remotely, which isn’t a huge issue really, plus I will be able to keep encryption without the need of setting up openvpn - although I may well take this on just for the challenge/learning experience.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.