[TESTING] Debian 11 Bullseye

I’m tentatively scheduling the release for Sunday, 18th September.

We’ve had a lot of testing and I’m happy with the progress we’ve made.

Thanks to everyone that tested.

Cheers

Sam

8 Likes

Great news! Looking forward to start using this great update. Thank you for your continues support to improve the OSMC platform!

Thank you verys much for your effort guys! Can’t wait to test is out!

For the record, I’ve been using the upgrade for the past few weeks with no issues, apart from having to do a partial reinstall of the Netflix app. The name change of the python3-cryptography file is not documented in app’s install instructions, so that may be worth a mention when the upgrade is officially announced.

As always, many thanks to the developers’ for their efforts. The Vero coupled to OSMC is a great device.

1 Like

has anything been rolled back on recent VC-1 changes? Applied latest update, and my go-to 1080/50i test has no stutter (great), but the moire is back even with deinterlace set to off. Took a quick look via another platform in case it was my imagination and there was no moire at all.

Having done an update this afternoon, I’m seeing this too - it’s as if we’ve reverted back to about September 1st, before the last major update to VC-1 playback.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will dive into that as soon as Debia11 is OSMC official. Been using Chromecast lately myself(wife and kids pleasing issues) so I haven’t noticed any problems, sorry.

Awesome, thanks!

Great timing, too. Debian 10 just went EOL: “Debian’s Security and Release Teams will no longer be producing updates for Debian 10. Users wishing to continue to receive security support should upgrade to Debian 11”.

Oh dear. I think Sam did something then disappeared on a trip. Will investigate.

1 Like

I’ll check shortly.

I can see the issue and the fix is trivial, but my ability to fix it here might be limited.

Was a suggestion, not a criticism, so no apology needed. You can’t be across everything.

@angry.sardine @ac16161

I’ve checked the VC-1 issue. It’s just a single missing commit and will be easy to re-introduce. WiFi is a bit more stable here now – but setting up a development environment for a single commit here doesn’t make much sense when I’ll be back by Thursday.

So I’ll push a fix on my return and this doesn’t delay the plan to release the update by Sunday.

Thanks for testing and picking this up.

2 Likes

no problem at all, thanks for checking while you’re away.

1 Like

No worries, Sam. :smiley:

Do we know yet if the stuttering issue on 50Hz VC-1 is likely to be fixed by the time this build goes on general release? Or is addressing that going to have to wait?

Oh, and on a different topic, did anyone ever look at this one? (As I said at the time, the issue may or may not be specific to the test build, I’m not sure). [TESTING] Debian 11 Bullseye - #265 by angry.sardine

Dear OSMC team,

nice to hear that we are getting closer to the next version.
VC-1 runs much smoother :wink:

Unfortunately, with the new kernel, 3D ISO/MKV playback on Vero 4k+ does not seem to run optimally:

• high CPU utilization > 70-80 % on single cores.
  • high CPU temperature > 78-88 °C
  • high RAM utilization > 50-60 % after prolonged playback.
  • playback and menus not as smooth as with the old kernel
  • sometimes no picture after restarting playback not from the beginning or when skipping chapters

I’m getting ready to go on vacation so maybe no chance to send logs shortly…
Thanks for your hard work and hopefully someone can take a look into or keep it on the to-do-list.

I don’t think anyone’s done anything to target stuttering specifically recently but don’t lose hope.

The whitelist logic is set by Team Kodi and hasn’t changed for these betas. You can always override it for particular videos.

Okay, but bear in mind that (once the recent changes are reinstated and this version is released) people are going to be seeing stutter more than they used to: historically you only saw it if you changed the deinterlace option from “Auto-Select” to “Off”, but now you see it for the default “Auto-select” option too (if the material is tagged as frame-interlace).

This doesn’t sound like an isse per se. The temperatures are well within the limits.

In what way is playback not as “smooth” as before? Do you get stutter or frame skips/drops?
Menus should be as quick as before with the 4.9 kernel. Is this during playback or in general?

Does this happen with all 3D titles or rather with those in ISO containers?

Thanx, Chillbo:

1. CPU usage on latest release 2022.03-1 (kernel 4.9.113.64) is half of that with same files (i.e. < 40 %)
  2. a bit of stuttering and menus during playback (not in general)
  3. difficult to reproduce - most are ISOs (maybe some MKVs)

I’ll stay on the latest release with one Vero 4K+ and use the new one on my beta box… :wink:
(Could send some logs by end of september or early october.)

@tanio99 might be able to explain why that’s not an issue.

We’ve not had any reports of frame skips during 3D MVC playback. Could you post logs reproducing the issue?

With 3D ISOs it’s to be expected, I’m afraid. There’s been some explanation about this on the forum before: [TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K + - #1280 by tanio99 It’s not something we’re planning to address in the near future - it’s a corner case and not trivial to fix.