[TESTING] Kodi 17 test builds for Raspberry Pi

The file must be a leftover from the beginning when OSMC had untracked by apt files and maybe some upgrade somehow cleaned the untracked file for some people. Which apt wouldn’t usually do so it is strange.

Even in all my cleaning of my system I wouldn’t of manually cleaned that file. I use Linux exclusively on my computers so I know a decent amount about it and have used that knowledge to keep my OSMC clean and running without re-installing at the first signs of trouble like some would.

I’m currently running this https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/cki14/are_all_files_in_usr_are_tracked_by_your_package/ to check for any other important looking untracked files might be leftover in OSMC so they can be properly managed by apt in the future. If I find anything I’ll start a new thread since it may not be something to do with these test builds.

Nice link - I’ll run it on my Pi’s and see what they report.

It may not be that good actually (I just found it today after a short Google search)

I let it run and it did find a lot of untracked files mostly pyo and pyc that I googled and look like cache stuff so should be fine. I was a little surprised at how many files under /usr/share/kodi/addons are around untracked including a lot of font files.

But the bad part it seems to have a bug and a lot of lines just said
/bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: “(” unexpected
and some I knew about like the libcec.so.3.0 file didn’t get reported and must of been one of the error lines.

That reddit topic also mentions cruft as a tool for debian, just ran it on my Pi3 with OSMC 16.8-043 and it generated a log file with 2000+ lines :stuck_out_tongue:

Apart from the previously mentioned /usr/share/kodi/addons/ lot of the files mentioned live in /usr/share/man/<language>/.

FWIW, I also installed RPiMonitor, but that was also done via apt, so i’m guessing it should not appear in the cruft output ?

That’s getting a bit off-topic. I would say that if you need help with a v17 build, you may wish to do a separate post, or this will get buried.

With that said, I think we’ll start a new thread, because I have now set up the APT repository for @gmc and that will make builds installable via apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade.

Best

Sam

1 Like

You’re right.

FWIW I’m happy with the v17 build :slight_smile:, aside from the known issue with the DVD Player.

I’m assuming the new thread wil explain how to switch/add(?) the relevant repo.

Yes, that will be covered.

For now, I have had to hack our repository system a bit to allow multiple versions (so switching Kodi builds will be easier).

This means the packages are not signed, and updates will have to be done manually when we release My OSMC updates.

But you will be able to use apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade to keep up to date, which I know has been sought after.

Closing in advance of new thread.