[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Unfortunately we don’t have an update at this time.

Thanks

Sam

@sam_nazarko I recall you saying in another thread that you now have a fix for the issue of the Vero not triggering HDR properly when playing HDR VP9.2 videos. Is this fix likely to be released for the first time at the same time as we get Kodi v19, or might we see it sooner than that? (Or later?)

I think Sam said the next release will be v19, so no more v18 updates for now

Probably a bit later. @grahamh is doing some work on tone-mapping. We can probably include it with that.

To clarify: it needs changes in Kodi, not just the kernel; so it definitely has to come with v19 and not v18.9.

Sam

3 Likes

Just checking in to see if theres any ETA for the new kernel?

There’s a blog post here that mentions the update might/should be tied to the next Kodi point release 19.1
Kodi v19 Matrix is here. Here’s what you need to know - OSMC

I noticed today that toggling the “Force RGB output” option in the System settings doesn’t have any immediate effect. The value is picked up correctly then the box reboots, though. Is that expected behaviour?

Not sure what you mean by this. We would need logs.

This repo is effectively EOL and we have not released anything for some time.

I’m not sure how else I can phrase it…

If I start with the “force RGB” box not checked, then output is obviously YUV. If I check the box, nothing happens - output is still YUV. But if I then reboot, the box boots back up with RGB output. The same is true of unchecking the box - nothing happens until I reboot. That might be what’s supposed to happen, for all I know; but the “limited range” checkbox on the same screen takes effect immediately as soon as its value changes, and I was expecting the RGB box to work like that too.

I’ll post logs later if you like. I don’t honestly care very much, as I don’t use RGB output anyway, I just thought you might want to know…

Yes, that’s how it works. The help text explains it - but the text references were changed by Team Kodi so you may not be seeing the right text.

I’m not actually sure why it needs a re-boot (or a re-start of Kodi will do). I couldn’t possibly comment without fear of upsetting the boss :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, fine. :smiley:

Sam - is the way forward to the “future” release of the next OSMC version from this test kernel/build, still only via complete reinstallation?

No - it should be OK to update normally.

what should the normal sources.list look like?

If you want to try the testing images, you will need buster-devel (but it’s not ready yet).

On release after testing, there won’t be any difference between buster-devel and buster.

No I’ll wait until the official release, but I dont know what to edit the sources.list back to to get the release and carry on with life as normal… (from this build).

osmc@vero4kp0:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster main
2 Likes

Hi. I test the 4.9 kernel and i have missed multicast protocol:

root@vero:~# grep CONFIG_IP_MROUTE /boot/config-4.9.113-29-osmc 
# CONFIG_IP_MROUTE is not set

root@vero:~# grep CONFIG_IP_MROUTE /boot/config-3.14.29-160-osmc 
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y
# CONFIG_IP_MROUTE_MULTIPLE_TABLES is not set

I need it

thanks in advance

We’d like to thank everyone for testing. This thread has now served its course and the new 4.9 video stack has been merged for use with Kodi v19 – with test builds coming shortly.

In addition to the improvements outlined previously, we’ve now added support for HDR when playing VP9 content and improved tone mapping support for those playing HDR content on SDR displays. We have outlined the changes briefly on the blog here: The new video stack for Vero 4K / 4K + - OSMC

3 Likes