[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Sorry. Please disregard. Discovered dts-hd was activated in vero settings. Not sure how. Might have been one of the kids. Apologies

When I install this 4.9 release, can I just update to 4.9 final once it is there or will I have to reinstall the Vero 4K+ again to get the final?

You should be able to update from here to the stable 4.9 when it is released. You just would need to reinstall if you want to fall back to 3.14.

Anyhow suggest to have an up to date backup as always something could go wrong with a testing version

I don’t really care if my library has to be rebuilt. Do you mean a backup of Kodi, or really a backup of OSMC when the Vero seems bricked? I don’t know how to make a backup of OSMC tbh…

Normally a backup of Kodi is good enough unless you have heavy customization on the operating system side. But yes if you get into a problem with Kernel a full reinstall (via USB/SD Card might be necessary.

1 Like

The 5th April update has fixed the resolution issue with my Panny soundbar, thanks for that.

Interlaced VC-1 still seems to be broken with bad motion judder. And when connected to my Marantz AVR I still get occasional blank screen issues, but that’s not specific to 4.9.

Has anyone tried to see if HDR with the Youtube plugin finally works with the new kernel?

Just curious as I’m still running the old version :grinning:

I have, and it doesn’t.

Thanks for letting me know. I still hope that this will work with a future release.

I think I read somewhere that hardware has to support vp9 profile 2. Does Vero 4k support profile 2?

According to Sam it should be possibe.

Yes, it can play VP9 profile 2 up to 4K60. And the videos do play, it’s just that the Vero doesn’t correctly signal the display to switch to HDR mode.

Sam has said in the past that he’ll take another look at this after 4.9 is done and dusted - although that was a long time ago; I don’t know if it’s still on the agenda.

1 Like

Yup, interlaced VC1 is not working correctly yet. We’ve been working on some more general playback issues just now. It’s on the list.

Is there a list of what has been fixed/changed in this release of today, so testing that would be interesring :nerd_face:

Still happy with your all ongoing releases.

The main fix is a dramatic reduction (?elimination) of sad faces. Skipping forward/backward a few times was previously a good way to cause kodi restarts.

And m2ts playback is improved - better reading of refresh rate from the stream.

Actually, all the ‘solved issues’ in the OP are in this release.

3 Likes

Thanks @grahamh will see the result tonight :+1:

Anybody tested this latest version with a gigabit ethernet USB adapter?

This still seems a little flakey. 3D m2ts files still don’t play unless I change the desktop refresh rate to 23.98. I also tried playing a 1080i/50 clip, and it changed the refresh rate to 25Hz for a few seconds, then changed its mind and switched to 50. Would a log of the second one be of any interest, or is that still a known issue?

Are you still testing with that Christmas sample? It’s working here when I set the GUI e.g. to 60 fps.

Hauppauge DualHD not found on Vero4K - #49 by KickerTom I don’t understand anything about kernels etc, but does it mean the DualHD happpauge tuner works now? As mentioned in the thread I’m sharing