[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Is there support for official dvbt2 dongle?? Cant see it after new kernel installation.

A fellow DW fan? I’m curious to see how the Pertwee seasons 7-9 look when they eventually land on blu-ray given the challenge they’ll pose. I was looking at Ark in Space episode 2, the early well-lit scenes in the space station hibernation chamber. This is sourced from the PAL master, and upscaled to 1080 at the authoring stage but the 50i structure retained. There are shots where characters move across the chamber, and to my eyes, there is a slight but clear low level judder in the movement when played on the Vero. With the Pi all motion is silky smooth.

I was having problems where the TV/AVR seemed to think the Vero had turned off every time I played a file, but yesterday’s update has erased them, so thanks for fixing the bug I hadn’t even had time to report yet!

Honestly so far so good with the new update from yesterday - everything is running much smoother on my Vero 4K+ as far as playback, and I haven’t run into any major issues yet. I will try a 3D movie tonight - are there still differential issues between MKV and ISO files?

There shouldn’t be. But do test please and let us know how it goes :+1:t2:

So far old problems still there. Videos I posted earlier in this thread crashes.

1. @angry.sardine 's micro stutter issue on avatar still there.
  2. I can confirm what jaybird said. No hdr10+.
  3. Crashing on blue planet scene.
  4. New one is 4k 60hz video slight stuttering.

This has gone for me.

1 Like

If you mean the frame-skip when subtitles come up, then that isn’t a bug that’s new to 4.9. I brought it up in a 4.9 context simply because the first 4.9 test build appeared to fix it - but I don’t think that was intentional, merely a benign side-effect of the GPU clock speed increase. It’s possible that it was never entirely fixed in the first place, or only fixed on the Vero 4K+ and not on the Vero 4K… At any rate, it’s definitely not something introduced in 4.9.

1 Like

We’re aware of that. Although the situation has improved a lot with that clip already as it’s stuttering a lot less and it’s basically playable which it wasn’t for at least a while. We’re down to the PBS subtitle frameskip issue now like @angry.sardine points out correctly.

1 Like

@sam_nazarko any update regarding hdr10+ ? Are you guys gonna revert any recent change ? As this was working fine until couple of days ago.

Give us some time.

There are more important issues to look at first.

1 Like

A current log: https://paste.osmc.tv/igigemanig

It will be fixed in the next kernel update.

There are a couple of more things we want to address first before updating.

Did you install the CRDA package after you experienced these problems, or before?

I’ve got an issue where some movies will just not play. The wait timer appears then disappears for a moment and then comes back and just hangs with the wait timer spinning.

The files in question are MKV with HEVC, AC3 or AAC audio and SRT subs.
Always played fine before & I have a little suspicion that they played after I upgraded initially to 4.9, but not after the update from a few days ago.

Logs here:
https://paste.osmc.tv/usugegiyug

CRDA had already been installed. When I set up the Vero, installing CRDA and setting the regulatory domain DE was a requirement to connect to my 5GHz wifi under the 3.14 kernel.

A wifi bug to report. I had my 5GHz ssid set to:

Channel Bandwidth: 80MHz
Control Channel: 108 or 112

With the official release everything is working fine.

With this release though with nothing changed on the router Vero 4K cant find the 5GHz network. I have to change:
channel bandwidth: 20MHz/40MHz/80MHz
control channel: Auto

so it can find it and connect again.

Asus RTAC86U router

Tested this on 2 of my 3 devices so far.

SDR tone mapping is ok but only for movies that don’t go over 1000 cd/m2

Arrival, the 5th wave, the shallow just to name a few.

Arrival 2016 is probably one of the worse with it dark tone nature.

Arrival full media info : https://pastebin.com/GSMyMUSA

Any comments on the new update? Kernel 4.9.113-11?

So far it’s still having trouble with 4k 60hz

There is no new kernel yet.

1 Like