[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

What about the logs I posted earlier on this issue. Were they of any use?

@tanio99 @grahamh can reproduce the green screen. What do you need? Can I upload logs via My OSMC add-on? ssh in and use cat? Cat while screen is green and cat while screen is on normal playback?

Do we send also the output of …

cat /sys/class/video/dump_reg

… along with the log?

cat command will just display the contents of dump_reg right? Or will it append to log?

Can you reproduce it easily?

That cat command doesn’t output anything. It writes its output to the kernel log. So we need the kernel and kodi logs. The Kodi logs can tell us what you did, and we can use them to correlate with the kernel logs. So just send us the logs via MyOSMC or you can also use the grab-logs -A command.

Exactly. We want to compare the logs to find out what differs.

Regarding that ‘green screen’ issue:

we’ve already got some logs. They were helpful, and we were able to exclude some of the usual suspects. But we still don’t know what’s causing that green screen. It could help to get some more logs.

But the best thing would be if someone out there could find out how that issue could be reproduced.

When I encounteted this issue with the usb test builds I was able to readily reproduce by simply skipping forward a few times in the file. More specifically using a remote button which I’ve mapped to skip forward 250 secs i.e. Seek(250).

I’ll pm you details for the uhd hevc file i was having issues with.

1 Like

thanks, @tanio99!
They’re very easy to reproduce for me. I just need to skip forward or back a couple of times. And it happens to a lot of the videos I watch. I’ll take a swing at the logs today.

Ok, good to know. I think I’ll start skipping around today :slight_smile: .

1 Like

:smile:

@tanio99

Here are the logs. I did cat /sys/class/video/dump_reg whie it’s playing and then grab-logs -A.

Normal screen (1st try) - https://paste.osmc.tv/magafamuhu
Normal screen (2nd try) - https://paste.osmc.tv/ihiwopufec

Green screen (1st try) - https://paste.osmc.tv/uzirilitov
Green screen (2nd try) - https://paste.osmc.tv/lopesajito

I don’t know if I did it right on the first try. So if it’s not useful, please check out my 2nd try. The 1st try I uploaded the logs in succession without restarting Vero and on the 2nd try I uploaded the normal screen log and restarted the Vero and then uploaded the green screen log.

I accidentally stumbled on to an observation. The green screen is only reproducible when the Vero is connected to my TV. I connected it to my monitor to reproduce the error and I couldn’t. No matter how many times I tried skipping, the green screen didn’t come out. I think that would also explain why some of us can reproduce the problem while others cannot.

Do you need media info of the video?

That’s very interesting information!

I’m skipping around like crazy, but I do not get any green screen.

I had a look at your logs and I can’t see any reason for the green screen :frowning: … since you wrote about different connected hardware I wonder if it’s HDMI related? Then the dump_reg would not help in that case because the dump does not contain any HDMI related registers.

1 Like

@eagerbeaver, did you execute that cat command while the movie was playing?

@eagerbeaver, second question: I can see that you’re playing a movie with a resolution of 3840x1600. Do you have one with 3840x2160? And are you able to reproduce that green screen with this one?

Out of interest, what does this green screen look like? Completely green or can you still see the video but with green colours?

Completely green here.

I wonder if that green screen issue depends on the devices connected.

To all who get that green screen. Can you please let us know which devices (AVRs, TVs, projectors) are connected to your Veros?

@tanio99
Months in using 4.9 every night, only got a green screen once, and it remained until I have rebooted Vero 4K+… I feel sorry that I didn’t capture the log file.

I have a cheap and old LG 32LB561U (don’t ask why I run Vero 4k+ on it), the CEC is running all the time but I’m mostly using Vero’s remote control over RF, and I have a 3.5mm speaker connected. I’m mostly running files from my Ubuntu server over SMB.

Edit: sorry I didn’t make it clear enough about the green screen
The video goes green, while the interface was still fine… after I’d stop the video there was nothing wrong with the Kodi interface at all… until I’d try and play another video where it would show a green screen instead of the video immediately

1 Like

It’s OK – we’ll work it out.

1 Like

Samsung MU6300 tv connected directly via HDMI, and a taotronics sound bar connected via SPDIF.

Jesus, so many things can be done wrong for a simple error report… Sorry, will try again if it happens again. We do reverse many times in each episode we watch (“what did he say?”) and that does not happen to make green video happen more often than I report here (once every couple of weeks). We do watch many 4k videos.
My equipment connected using 48G cables is a NAD T778 and that connected to an LG OLED65C7 using pass-through audio, but the green video did happen similarly with the TV directly connected to the vero4k+ using amazon basics cables and 3.5 speaker connected. In addition the rf remote USB dongle and a logitech mouse :computer_mouse: + keyboard USB dongle. All movies accessed through wired gigabit ethernet connected to the router.