V19 upgrade: sad face loop while installing a package

In that list can you try to first update other addons like unidecode, simplejson or skin shortcuts?

Oh no… I’ve tried this. Apparently, there are other dependent add-ons for each of these three (unidecode, simplejson andr skin shortcuts). I’ve installed them one by one, but when I proceeded with updating some dependent add-on for Skin Shortcut Vero crashed and went into sad face loop (I think this add-on’s name was something like Library Data… ).

Now Vero restarts, briefly shows OSMC skin with some message box in the top right corner that pops up for a fraction of a second and then blue screen with sad face and another reboot.

Any ideas?

Upload logs via SSH grab-logs -A as it might tells us which addon is the problematic one.

Here it is:

https://paste.osmc.tv/aqiwibekij

Ok, seems unidecode and simplejson update while skin shortcuts hasn’t updated.
Unfortunately the logs don’t show what is crashing. In terms of library data the only entry is service.library.data.provider but not really sure if that is the problem.

Maybe enabling debug logging could show us more (while I am not too hopeful). Do nano .kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml.
and add <loglevel>1</loglevel> after the line with <advancedsettings>

Thanks @fzinken

Link to new logs:

https://paste.osmc.tv/ihiyisicew

Does it tell the story?

Well not 100% but here it seems last addon is service.library.data.provider.
Maybe someone else sees something different in the logs.
Otherwise you could try to remove the addon folder
rm -R /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/

Thanks @fzinken

Removing this folder seems to stop the rebooting loop. I am now back to OSMC skin.

I will continue tomorrow with installing Aeon Nox SiLVO skin. I wonder, if this Library Data Provider add-on, which is required for the skin to work, is causing the issue - what should I do?

Thanks again for your assistance!

Try to check for updates on all repositories first as it should work after that.
If not then let us know.

Hi @fzinken,

I now believe that the Library Data Provider addon is the one that’s causing the issue.

As you advised I have managed to update almost all add-ons (except for unused language packs) and was left with just one - Aeon Nox SiLVO skin. No issues up to this point.

Updating Aeon Nox skin add-on crashes Vero and sends it into the boot loop.

I’ve noticed that removing Library Data Provider addon folder (as you suggested above) recovers Vero from boot loop, but the skin remains not updated.

Finally, if I try to install just this single addon - Library Data Provider - from Kodi repository, Vero ends up with the same sad face loop straight away.

I have saved the logs of the Library Data Provider addon error here:

https://paste.osmc.tv/oxasuhakeb

I wonder if this is just me or something is wrong with the addon and/or skin? I tried to google the issue, but could not find anything.

Could you please advise?

Many thanks!

No idea as I never used a different Skin than the OSMC skin.

But why that addon fails while there are no such reports on Kodi Forum I am not sure.
If you have time you might want to try a clean Kodi 19 install instead of the upgraded one.

Hi @fzinken,

I would really like to avoid a clean install of Kodi. If my understanding is correct, following this path will require me to go through a painful process of recreating media library as well as all other customizations that I have made in the last few years.

Is there any other way I can troubleshoot this issue? For example, would it be possible to ask someone to try installing Data Service Provider add-on on Vero4K to check if this issue is Vero4K specific?

Ok just installed Library Data Provider addon INFO <general>: CAddonMgr::FindAddons: service.library.data.provider v0.4.1 installed rebooted and no issue.
Then I even installed AeonNox Silvo INFO <general>: load skin from: /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.aeon.nox.silvo/ (version: 8.0.0) reboot and not issue.

The only think that wondered me in your logs seems you haven’t installed Aeon Nox Silvia 8.0.0. but 7.0.9 can you check?

This is strange indeed!

Add-on browser tells me that I have 8.0.0:

Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Version 8.0.0 - disabled.

However, my log has this line:
INFO : CAddonMgr::FindAddons: skin.aeon.nox.silvo v7.0.9 installed

I am now puzzled. Should I uninstall existing skin and install it again? What surprises me is that I updated this skin only yesterday after upgrading Kodi to v19. I don’t remember if I had a choice of a skin version in repository.

Yes I suggest that. Maybe you updated before the repository updated that let to this inconsistency

Hi @fzinken,

Thanks again for your help!

As advised, I have removed Library Data Provider addon and Aeon Nox: SiLVO skin. Rebooted Vero just in case… After that I tried to install the skin again and unfortunately, as before, Vero crashed and went into sad face loop.
Found Library Data Provider folder and removed it. That fixed rebooting loop, but obviously I’m left without my skin.

The latest log that shows Library Data Provider crash is here:
https://paste.osmc.tv/ahipecufum

The fact that this skin works on your computer gives me some hope. However, how can I figure out what is wrong with my setup?

But seems the skin is not installed currently. Did you try to install library data provider alone without the skin?

Maybe try to first get a cleaner system (e.g. remove other skins and their dependecies)

2021-08-16 19:27:31.476 T:3129    DEBUG <general>: ADDONS: update check: addonID = skin.aeon.nox.5 / Origin = repository.xbmc.org / Version = 6.1.0
2021-08-16 19:27:31.476 T:3129    DEBUG <general>: ADDONS: update check: addonID = skin.aeonmq8 / Origin = repository.xbmc.org / Version = 2.9.0

This is what I did. First I have manually uninstalled the skin.

Then I made an attempt to install it fresh from Repository. My understanding is that Library Data Provider is a dependent addon, hence Vero tried to install it first. This has crashed Vero sending it into the boot loop. I have discovered the Library Data Provider folder and removed it. This allowed me to stop the startup loop. I then went to check if the skin was installed and of course, it was not.

Then, to check if the Library Data Provider was indeed the culprit, I have started logs and tried to install just this addon. Vero crashed and I uploaded this log above.

This explains why you don’t see the skin in my logs. I have uninstalled it manually but was not able to install it again.

I will definitely try removing other skins later today to see if that will help.

Ok, I had manually installed it for my test by going on dependencies and then install it manually

Actually, one other thing, perhaps unrelated. I am now on OSMC skin. And for some reasons Vero crashes every 15 minutes or so. This is without any processes on my side. It just restarts randomly. Since I left the logging on, I managed to upload the latest one here:

https://paste.osmc.tv/ofirujujuf

Is it possible to check what causes issues this time?

Many thanks!