Vero 4K + network speed major disappointment

Forcing full duplex with auto negotiation disabled will cause the switch at the the other end of the link to assume half duplex, this will cause a duplex mismatch causing extremely poor performance in one direction.

Repeat the test with half duplex and it should be fine in both directions:

ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex half autoneg off

Never force full duplex with auto-negotiation off at one end of the link without also simultaneously forcing full duplex at the remote end. If you donā€™t have control of the configuration of the other end of the link, always use half duplex when disabling auto-negotiation.

1 Like

Means next to nothing to me, Iā€™m afraid. I just typed in what the dude above asked, in the hope of fixing it. Turns out Iā€™m not alone, and thereā€™s a number of people with the same issue.

If you fancy telling me what it should be set to, so I can ensure it is back to normal, that would be helpful.

Iā€™ve spent more time messing with this network stuff than I did building my previous box from scratch.

yup gotta agree with @DBMandrake (is that an old distro or wizard reference?) that forcing 1000mb full duplex rarely works on linux - better to let it autoneg or youā€™ll end up with 10/half

1 Like

My issue is that the Vero 4K+ is not negotiating a gigabit connection to my switch. I have tried different ethernet cables and two different gigabit switches:

• Ubiquiti UniFi US-8-150W (managed, port link negotiation set to auto)
  • HP ProCurve 1400-8G (unmanaged)

I also tested the kernel from ([TESTING] Vero 4K / 4K + video improvements), no changes.

Here are the logs:
https://paste.osmc.tv/mojepoxoqe

Hereā€™s the output of ethtool (with UniFi switch):

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: ug
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x0000003d (61)
drv link timer ifdown ifup
Link detected: yes

Any suggestions?

Are both times the link partner speeds reported as follows?
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

Both switches gave:
ā€œLink partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Fullā€

Hereā€™s the ethtool output for the HP switch (see above for UniFi):

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: ug
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x0000003d (61)
drv link timer ifdown ifup
Link detected: yes

Thatā€™s really odd. I assume you have validated the cable and the port reports correctly if you plug in another Gigabit device, or?

Maybe check for errors with ethtool -S eth0
Also maybe try to set speed ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full

Withethtool -S eth0 | grep -i err everything is 0, full log at: https://paste.osmc.tv/efemeqegoq

I set the UniFi switch port 4 to 1000/full duplex and did the same for vero 4k+ with ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full. Vero 4k+ fails to get any link to both the HP switch (which is unmanaged, cannot configure it) and the UniFi switch. UniFi switch port 4 ā†” HP switch gives a gigabit link.

I assume same cable being used?
Than I am out of ideas

Yes, it was the same cable. Iā€™m also out of ideas, Iā€™ve tried three different cables and now three different switches (last one was Asus RT-AC66U router/switch, same problem).

Maybe @sam_nazarko has some magic ideas

Hi @rusakko

Sorry to hear you are experiencing a problem here.
Do you have another device / environment you can test with so we can see if the issue is localised?

I can produce a kernel with some debug messages so we can see why the negotiation is failing.

Sam

Hi,

Which device are you referring to? The Vero 4k+? I only have access to this unit.

Sure, I can test a kernel with debug messages.

With regards to the network environment, I tested three different switches and cables so itā€™s probably not that.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U in AP mode. I know yours is an AC66U, but stillā€¦ If I get a moment today Iā€™ll set up my second Vero 4K+ directly connected to that, and report my iperf results if thatā€™ll help?

For me the issue is that I donā€™t even have a gigabit ethernet connection between my switch and the vero 4k+. Link speed is 100Mbit/s so thatā€™s the fastest speed I could get, havenā€™t really done any performance tests before my link speed is 1Gbit/s.

I suspect there could be something wrong with my Vero 4K+ unit.

Hi @sam_nazarko,

Iā€™ve tested three different gigabit switches and cables. Seems unlikely that itā€™s related to either of those, different switch manufacturers and bought years apart from each other (HP is 10 years old, Asus router is 5 years old and the Ubiquiti Unifi is brand new). I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever had this kind of problem with a gigabit ethernet device before, usually they just work ā„¢.

I donā€™t have access to another Vero 4K+ so I canā€™t rule out that this unit is faulty.

Whatā€™s the next step, the test kernel you mentioned?

Hi,

If you tested with 3 switches and cables, I cannot conceive it being an environmental issue.

Please email support@osmc.tv or give me your order # and I will raise a ticket on your behalf and we will replace this unit for you promptly.

I apologise for the inconvenience.

Sam

Hi,

Sounds good, my order number is #18949.

Iā€™ll raise a ticket on your behalf in a couple of hours.