Vero 4K - Working without Power Plug (USB Only)

@JimKnopf

As requested.
In this setup all works fine.

If I remove the USB PSU and plug in the Vero PSU equally all works well.

If I plug both PSUs it still works, but doesn’t seem sane to me.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Hi @Richard_Luke_C_Hobda, the Vero stays powered if you unplug the ethernet cable for some seconds?
The TCP timeout should be normally 20 seconds, so should not harm too much if you insert the jack fast enough.

Not sure I follow your thinking there.
Its a standard cat5 cable - no power on there.

Makes no difference anyway.

@sam_nazarko You see, what is shown in the picture shouldn’t be possible, since the power is indeed going from the usb to the vero 4k.

Shouldn’t the power only circulate inside the hub and not traverse up the device it is attached to?

That scenario is possible, but will not harm the device.

Sam

Good to know.

@Richard_Luke_C_Hobda of course using the Vero like that isn’t really suitable. Once you connect something that draws more power from the hub power adapter the Vero might not receive enough power to run properly.

And so …
I plug in the Vero PSU as well !?
Clear as mud. :astonished:

Sam already stated that the USB backfeed won’t damage the Vero, so…

@TheHacker66

Indeed, but it seems counterintuitive!
With more than 60 years in the Electronic and IT Industry I am always cautious.
‘Black box’ technology without a Circuit Diagram, makes me even more so.

:slightly_smiling_face:
R.

i have this hub, from the osmc store, and i got the same problem - but not always… it’s a bit weird

Apologize for the necro but have the same experience.
Seems like the OSMC usb hub “slightly” powers the Vero so in order to reboot I need to pull both the power cord to the Vero and the hub. Vero won’t boot unless it’s first powered and then the hub is connected after.

Noticed this too. Easiest solution is use a data-only USB cable, or make one yourself with a small strip of good tape on one of the outer pins, like so:
http://folgerforum.com/t/quick-and-simple-non-destructive-mod-for-a-data-only-no-power-usb-cable/2086

1 Like