Vero V audio sync issue since last update

I’ll give it some more testing.
Are recordings also affected? If so – that would be useful as I can then take a couple of recordings and we can work on a way to consistently reproduce.

I have access to UK Freeview (DVB-T2 but reception is a bit spotty) and an excellent UK (Astra 28.2E) DVB-S2 signal for FTA channels.

Sam

If it help I can give you access via wg vpn to my tvheadend backend (and recordings) with 4 DVB-S2 tuners for streaming German HD Channels :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are recordings also affected?

much more than live streaming.

Can you provide a sample recording? I’d like to have a 1 minute clip which can be used to reproduce that issue.

yes… I will check, if my todays “RTL aktuell”-recording have the same bad audio issues like the days before…

This will be very useful.

murphys law… no audio async in recordings or live stream for today :crazy_face:

@sam_nazarko
I sent you the access

@tanio99

I can make some more short recordings…

Just to clarify: the above clip will give synchronisation issues?

Sam

For me there were no synchronisation issues yesterday… the two days before I had massive audio sync issuses. But I rebooted yesterday before streaming Live TV… If I notice audio sync issues again in new recordings, I will test this clip to see if the audio problems are independent from the recordings.

Just to clarify: the above clip will give synchronisation issues?

not for me yesterday.

Plays fine here.

I am also experiencing similar issues with a brand new Vero V. Some files play without problems, but with some files it is impossible to get the audio and video into sync even with audio offset. It either seems like the offset is ignored, or the audio starts to get out of sync in a few minutes. I have used OSMC for several years with Raspberry Pi 3B and have never encountered this.

Below media infos for two files which are unwatchable due to this issue. Both work perfectly with VLC. I don’t have the Raspberry anymore.

Video
ID                        : 1
Format                    : AVC
Format/Info               : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile            : High
Format level              : 4.1
Format settings, CABAC    : Yes
Format settings, Referenc : 5 frames
Codec ID                  : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                  : 2 h 32 min
Bit rate                  : 8 718 kb/s
Width                     : 1 920 pixels
Height                    : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio      : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode           : Constant
Frame rate                : 23.976 FPS
Color space               : YUV
Chroma subsampling        : 4:2:0
Bit depth                 : 8 bits
Scan type                 : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)        : 0.237
Stream size               : 9.10 GiB (83%)
Writing library           : x264 core 79 r1332 70f8869
Encoding settings         : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=8718 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Language                  : English
Default                   : Yes
Forced                    : No

Audio
ID                        : 2
Format                    : DTS
Format/Info               : Digital Theater Systems
Format settings           : Big
Codec ID                  : A_DTS
Duration                  : 2 h 32 min
Bit rate mode             : Constant
Bit rate                  : 1 509 kb/s
Channel(s)                : 6 channels
Channel layout            : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate             : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth                 : 24 bits
Compression mode          : Lossy
Stream size               : 1.61 GiB (15%)

---

Video
ID                        : 1
Format                    : AV1
Format/Info               : AOMedia Video 1
Format profile            : Main
Format level              : 4.0
Codec ID                  : V_AV1
Duration                  : 2 h 50 min
Bit rate                  : 4 438 kb/s
Width                     : 1 912 pixels
Height                    : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio      : 16:9
Frame rate mode           : Constant
Frame rate                : 23.976 FPS
Color space               : YUV
Chroma subsampling        : 4:2:0
Bit depth                 : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)        : 0.090
Stream size               : 5.28 GiB (95%)
Color range               : Limited
Color primaries           : BT.709
Transfer characteristics  : BT.709
Matrix coefficients       : BT.709

Audio
ID                        : 2
Format                    : Opus
Codec ID                  : A_OPUS
Duration                  : 2 h 50 min
Bit rate                  : 236 kb/s
Channel(s)                : 6 channels
Channel layout            : L R C Lb Rb LFE
Sampling rate             : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                : 50.000 FPS (960 SPF)
Compression mode          : Lossy
Stream size               : 288 MiB (5%)

The second video is AV1 so will play on a Vero but not a Pi. The audio looks to be an interesting codec though… a sample of that file could be useful.

I do experience the same on my Vero 4K+, most if not all my movies has dropped frames and out of sync audio, or even stuttering playback so the problem is platform independent. Anyone knows the last version which was stable and how to downgrade to it? I’m not in favour of new features but a stable media player.

So far the main cause of lip sync and stuttering playback issues on Vero 4K I’ve seen are users playing back AV1 content.

This obviously isn’t supported with hardware acceleration on Vero 4K as the codec was created after the device was released. Vero V does support this format.

This is particularly prominent with YouTube content. Some logs would give some clues. Are you playing the exact same files (ie from a NAS) that played OK before?

I’m not sure whether this is going to help or not, but I periodically get audio sync issues on my Vero V. I’m in the US and mostly watching recorded stuff from off the air using NextPVR as the back end, so that means mostly MPEG2 content, although I’ve had the audio sync issue playing mkv files as well. Any time I have it, if I reboot the Vero V the problem file plays fine again. A few weeks ago I set the Vero V to reboot daily, and the issue has gone from almost every day to only twice since I started the reboots.

There will be some improvements to video sync shortly, but whether this is related to your issue is hard to tell from what you’ve said. Doesn’t hurt to wait and see…

1 Like

Actually, if we could get some testing now with what we have that would be quite informative. Don’t be disheartened if this doesn’t fix everything however as we are working on a couple of issues.

To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv bullseye-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

This will deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

Hi Sam,

No I do not have any AV1 decoded files. The movies which are sttering/dropping frames.or getting out of sync with audio are x264 and HEVC encoded bluray rips in 1080p or 4K. I had very poor quality picture with a 1080i TV movie film, probably because it was interlaced.
My 25fps low res MPEG2 EU DVD movie rips (or xvid avi’s) never played flawlessly until I’ve turned off the hardware acceleration for this resolution and set to HD and higher.

At the time when I bought my Vero 4K+s, they were playing nicely even DSD 2.0 audio, but now it seems they struggling with nearly everything, hires audio and movies as well.

With regards the movies I can see dropped frames or in every few seconds - like when the video is panning horizontally, it just stutters for a few frames, etc.

I’m not sure if any above information could help in debugging, but thats my experience now. And when my wife says its annoying then its annoying :slight_smile:

The only thing that helps debugging are:

1. Debug enabled logs
  2. A short sample of a file that give problems

That won’t be indicative to a problem other than bad rips with bad PTS unfortunately. They will almost certainly have the file extension of ‘AVI’ and have been encoded in the very early to mid 2000s. Not much we can do about that…

For other material you could try the update suggestion above or wait for that and further fixes which we will make available soon. If that doesn’t help we need a log and sample as @fzinken suggests.

Sam

My audio sync problem was also fixed by rebooting the Vero V.