Vero4k not handling symlinks?

03/10/2020 01:07 .
03/10/2020 01:07 …
03/10/2020 01:07 57,219 S11E02 - Bloodsploosh-thumb.jpg
03/10/2020 01:07 S11E02 - Bloodsploosh.mkv [\?\M:\TVDownload\Archer.2009.S11E02.720p.WEBRip.x264-BAE.mkv]
03/10/2020 01:07 1,821 S11E02 - Bloodsploosh.nfo

This is NOT an OSMC issue as this kind of soft link does not work because of Windows (and it doesn’t work between Windows machines). I think there is a pretty good explanation [here]. Basically you can hard link a file, or you can directory junction a folder, but the only way you are going to get a symlink to work with a Windows file share is to link to a UNC path instead of local.

1 Like

This is exactly what I did (or rather the script did). If this is NOT an OSMC issue why does it work perfeclty fine in windows? Why can I stream it to linux without any issues? Why does it work on, let me check just to be sure, a really old mediacenter from “made in china”?
How is this not an OSMC issue then? OSMC simply doesn’t support this kind of link. That does make it an OSMC issue because it should support Symlinks of any kind, especially ones made in windows (the most used distribution by users).

No, it’s how Windows Hanawin (or Windows in general) handles links.

And how are you doing that?

I just tried it between two Windows machines and it didn’t work. The problem being that the link is pointing to (drive letter)\file path and windows does not translate that into a UNC path with soft links. Hard links work because that is being done at the file system level. I know directory junctions work as well because I use those myself.

As for the other that is working are you sure that those are not connecting via UPNP because that doesn’t use SMB.

Yes I did and yes I can through VLC.

That really should be solved. I remember having an issue like this years ago but right now I’m out of disk space, I can only symlink. This is the way windows (and the scripts) symlink and they work perfectly fine on other OSes and Windows but they don’t on Vero.

Considering that OSMC is a linux distribution, it will work the same as other linux distributions.

How are you sharing the file to you other linux system?

Just use a directory Junction. I have a shared folder called “Video” and five of the folders in there are junctions pointing to different physical drives.

Just mounting them with VLC and allowing access to the liniux distro…

How would one do that? My script will keep symlinking M: to T:/Shows (and their respectful dirs), you did pretty much my entire setup with the auto mounting (see PM’s and topic above) how could I get this to work without breaking the rest?

So you are using VLC on the Windows system to share via UPNP? That would explain it as the link is being resolved on Windows, the linux system knows nothing about it, it’s just receiving a stream.

The Junction just acts as a folder shortcut. If you want to keep things exactly as they are now then just skip all the links and just add another share in Win and then make a new mount and then add that new mount to your existing source (Kodi allows you to have more than one file path in a single source.

The only reason I do the directory junction is to keep my shares all together but Kodi does not really care either way.

Pretty much, but i’m still mounting it through tthe NFS share, this has to be something that can be solved Windows/Apple->Vero as well.
It hasn’t been done yet, I understand but it should be able to function.
It might be a missing part of code or a missing package but this should work together. (symlinking has been around forever, it’s a thing in every OS)

The only reason i’m using this soft link is because my other disk is full of tv recordings already and I added another disk so I can continue recording while keeping the original structure. If I move the entire structure it would fail because parts are hardlinked and other parts (the new parts) will be symlinked.

I would gist the entire structure but thank you sam for keeping gist links, so it just is an entire structure of directories and I would like to keep them as they are on T: while still being able to add more recordings on M: without moviing or taking more disk space of T: because it’s pretty much full.

If you know of a way to junction the dir while keeping the structure as is (you can’t have T:/Shows?Archer and M:/Shows/Archer, it wil clash( I would love o hear your ideas.

Really??? It wasn’t available in NTFS until V3.1 (Windows XP) And it’s not available at all on FAT32 or exFAT.

If you are using VLC to share it via UPNP it is NOT using the NFS mounts. Did you setup mounts on the other linux system, or just using VLC?

Really! it was available on the freaking Amiga, so it might be new to Windows but it’s not “a new thing”.

That’s very true if you’re using UPNP, unless you’re loading it from the NFS dir and streaming it.

Edit:
I’m sorry but this is turning into a “I can one up you with” conversation while we both want the same thing, seemless intergration on any OS no matter what the end point is. So let’s be cheerful again.

And I really would like a solution for this, I don’t have 4 Vero4k’s and A pi3 running for nothing.

The problem is with how Windows is handling the link. There is no fix at all for this on linux(OSMC). No linux system will be able to access that file via NFS. When you are sharing it via UPNP the links are handled totally on the Windows system. NFS is not involved.

As @darwindesign pointed out, he tested windows to windows and it does not work there.

The simple solution is to just create a new share and a new Kodi source. Very easy to do.

I suppose if you really want to keep things as close to what you have now you could directory junction folders for individual shows to move them to another drive. To me this seems like a headache to keep track of but it would work.

It’s very easy to do but then I would have to continue using hardlinks and (as you can read above) it would clash with current TV dirs, I’d have to request an option that MIGHT be picked up from my recorder software to allow merging of directories on 2 different volumes.
With a RAID setup this wouldn’t be a problem, but with a normal setup it’s a huge issue.

I started hardlinking because symlinking wasn’t supported to stream way before the OSMC brand name came into place, I tried symlinking now and it still doesn’t work.

If @darwindesign knows a way to junction my files into the right directory (as symlinks or as a virtual folder that just ends up in the right place) I’d be fine with that as well!

Edit:
And one really odd thing about this is that I have made maual (with shell extension) symlinks from R: to T: and they play perfectly fine!

I don’t fully understand your setup, but I still think that just sharing the drive and a new source would work for you.

I have 7 drives. They all have Movies and TV Shows on them. They are mounted like:

/mnt/drive1/Movies
/mnt/drive2/Movies

etc. And they all are setup in Kodi as a separate source. When I add a new drive, I just add a new share and a new source. Nothing existing needs to be changed.

mklink /J Link Target [more info]

Say you have “The A-Team” folder taking up 80gb on your full drive. You can move that folder to another drive on that computer and then make a directory junction in the old location that points to the new location. Everything works local or network, no programs will know the difference. Rinse and repeat. This is basically what your doing now on a file instead of a folder level from what I understand from this thread.

What about merging a directory.
Say I have a TV show directory on M and on on T but I want the links to show up on T so it gets picked up by my entire setup so M:/TVShows would have to go into T:/TVShows as a soft link (no movement because it’s full).