Vero4K+ strange CEC behaviour

Does the problem occur without other devices connected?

Sam

Yes, no other devices are connected to any of the inputs on the AVR. It would be a bit harder to test without a display connected, though not impossible, but I don’t think that is what you meant?

I mean testing with only the Vero connected

OK, I disconnected my display from the AVR, using Yatse on my phone I rebooted my Vero4K+, and then I started playback on a movie. I heard the output through my speakers, attempted volume control via the remote control, it still did not work.

I brought my Vero 4K + with me to work today to test it further on a 4K TV that we have in the office.

I plugged it straight into the TV, no other devices connected. The TV in its CEC menu indicated it picked up a CEC device.

Using the Vero 4K + remote control’s volume buttons does not send CEC commands to the TV to adjust volume, it still attempts to control the digital non-passthrough audio in OSMC.

Using the TV remote, with it’s navigation buttons I was able to successfully navigate the OSMC menus.

Wait: is the issue only regarding volume button functionality; or are there other issues?

Hi Sam.

I don’t know, I’m merely only trying to control my passthrough audio, by using my Vero Remote control, to send CEC commands to the receiver to change the volume there.

It’s possible that the power on / off commands are also not working. I first want to sort out volume control as it is most important.

My aim is to only have to use one remote: the Vero remote.

It seems currently that AVR volume isn’t adjustable via CEC.
Not sure why this is – but this doesn’t mean that CEC isn’t working; which is why it’s important to distinguish between the two.

Sam

Check this thread do you have Switch source to this device on startup disabled, maybe that helps?

Not sure if this is helpful but I have the Vero remote set up to control the TV volume and the TV CEC set to control the amp volume. This way the Vero controls the TV volume when the amp is off and the amp when it’s on.

Unfortunately my projector does not support CEC.
Sounds like a nice “hack” that you found to control your volume in two scenarios.

Hi @fzinken thanks for the suggestion, not sure how I missed that. I checked my setting and it was indeed enabled, I disabled it and tried it again, unfortunately it did not solve my issue.

I borrowed a TV over the weekend and tested it again, everything was connected as follow via HDMI:

Vero 4K + --> AVR --> TV

I think after I connected and powered everything on initially CEC did not work but when I tried it later, perhaps after rebooting some or all of the devices in the chain it worked as Sam suggested it should: I could use the TV remote to control everything.

Additionally this time it also worked in the way I want it to: Vero 4K+ remote control sends CEC volume commands to the AVR, it worked perfectly.

Then I disconnected the TV, connected my projector, and it still worked. After rebooting my Vero 4K + however the CEC control went out the window again and OSMC volume is adjusted by the volume keys on the Vero remote, it does nothing on the AVR.

Does the AVR have a menu to show you connected CEC devices?

Hi,

Unfortunately the AVR does not show information about any connected CEC devices.

However I connected the TV again and for what it’s worth in its CEC menu it does show the following connected CEC devices:
HDMI5-Kodi
HDMI1-AV Receiver
HDMI1-AUDIO

My last post had me thinking again about the physical addresses of the devices.

So I connected my projector again, reboot Vero4K+, volume not working.

Went into Pulse-Eight libCEC settings, changed “Physical address” to 5 (as per Pulse-Eight libCEC faq AVR=5 but the default setting is “0”).

Reboot Vero4K+, volume still not working. As per last step, I changed the physical address to “1”, reboot Vero4K+.

Et voila, volume control works! (side note: again I went into Pulse-Eight libCEC settings, the address shows “0”, not sure why).

I find this very interesting. It was my understanding that during the handshake process Kodi was already designating itself as a recording device. Perhaps some of these displays are just not respecting that. A setting of “5” would not be expected to work though as you would be telling the system that the Vero was an AVR and be the destination for volume commands, not a source.

For others reading this, can you say where these are? It appears you have found a way to allocate device types to any device on the CEC net. Something I’ve failed miserably to do.

Settings>System>Input>Peripherals>CEC Adapter>Physical address>

1 Like

Yes, that sets the Vero’s physical address. But the OP seems to have set the AVR logical address (which was 1).