Vero4k Video playback aborting since update to 2017.12-1

Do you know when this device last received an update / if the LinkStatuon is still being updated regularly?

2017-27-06 was the latest update, so not that regularly.

Yes, that actually worked. Does it mean that NAS actually usivg SMBv1 and not SMBv2 as they are stating, or is there something else?

If I would ask Buffalo support about when they will update the firmware, how should I describe the problem that we are facing here?

Thanks.

You would ask if / when they plan to support SMBv3.

2 Likes

Few years ago I have been configuring CuboX with Debian 6 (arm) acting like SMB server for my local network.
After testing everything was working fine on linux computers (both nfs and samba) and on old windows XP hosts.
When I started testing Windows 7 (SMBv3), it was terrible!!! I got so big lags that it was impossible to work with.
After many hours of debugging including inspecting smb protocol with wireshark/tcpdump I found out that smbv3 client when it negotiate with debian samba, it looked like this:
client (win7) hello I got smbv1,2,3
server (debian6) hello I got smbv 1,2
client: Ok so lets use v1 :slight_smile:
result - terrible network speed.

After playing around with config for a while I decided to go with min protocol = SMB2 and max protol = SMB2 on server side
It worked fine with win7 and I could almost maxed out the network bandwidth but of course WinXP stopped working at all

Price of the future :slight_smile:

Bottom line is that Iā€™ve seen that negotiating SMB version is a pain in the aā€¦ with non-native samba devices and especially ARM devices with not fully 1Gbps capable adapters (many issues with NIC buffers overflow)
The best way is to set all devices in the same smb version and if you still have some devices that supports only smbv1 - trash them asap, cry for a day and then forget them :slight_smile:

It still is surprising that whil SMB v 3.0 was introduced like for Windows 2012 times (Server Message Block - Wikipedia), the devices like my Bufallo LinkStation that was released in 2016 says it supports SMB v2 (and even worse, I can only make it work with SMB v1) and they tell they are not planning to support it for this device.

Is anyone with DiskStation DS216j here and can confirm that SMB v3 works? They seem to be pretty good with updates.

I think itā€™s time @sam_nazarko released a OSMC-NAS/VeroNAS. Monthly updates and up-to-date specs :wink:

1 Like

Thanks to the guy who found the cure for this.Was having same trouble with Syno416

I have NAS from similar line - DS916+. I havenā€™t tested it (I donā€™t use SMB like almost at all) but it has SMBv3 in SMB options, so I guess it should work. Still I can imagine issues with max set to v3 and min set to v1.
Iā€™d recommend setting min v2, max v3 and forget about v1 altogether.

My Bufallo LinkStation says SMB v2. However:

• if I set Vero 4K to SMB v2 it does not play videos properly.
  • if I set Vero 4K to SMB v1 then it plays OK.

So, I need to keep it SMB v1.

is there a way to use a tool or some sort of command line to verify the supported SMB version on my LinkStation?

@tridy: tried to find out what Buffalo models support SMBv3 at all ā€¦ and looks to be some kind of secret, at least it is not obvious and easy to find. The TeraStationā„¢ Windows Storage Server based on a Windows OS running on them seem to be the only one I could find.

As written somewhere above, Iā€™m using a Synology DS214se which is even smaller then the DS216j (slower ARM-CPU, 256 MB memory instead 512 MB) but even this tiny NAS supports SMBv1 till SMBv3 with current DSM (Synology speak for the installed Linux OS of them). The se-models are not appropriate doing on-the-fly video conversions since the slow CPU. Throughput handling NFS and Samba access is more than sufficient for my purpose.

I donā€™t know if it is possible but for that to work properly, you probably have to set the LinkStation to use minimum v2 and maximum v2. As I wrote earlier negotiation with v1 and v2 always cause troubles (according to my tests). If you only have a ā€œmaxā€ setting then unfortunately yes you have to stick with only v1

that is the case with my LinkStation, I believe. Got to search for an alternative firmware one day.