Video always output at 24Hz when screen set to 4K

Yes exactly.

The easiest way for users to think of it is - what gives the Best Picture output quality ?

So users setups should be running the Kodi user interface resolution at 1080p50/60Hz.
And making sure in OSMC Settings you have:
Player > Videos > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop

Then 1080p video (& the Kodi user interface) will be output at 1080p and a 4K TV will upscale the 1080p picture to 4K using it’s superior upscaling hardware.

The end result is you end up with a better quality picture for ALL non 4K content.

4K video will trigger a Resolution switch to output at 4K anyway.

Besides the Kodi user interface, Icons, FanArt etc are not even coded for 4K resolutions anyway. 1080 only.

1 Like

The odd thing is that if the source has a lower resolution than the GUI setting (eg SD TV), kodi will always upscale and convert to the GUI resolution and refresh rate. This has been covered in other threads but I’m not sure whether there’s a fix in Krypton or Leia to pass the original stream through so that the display can sort it out.

Weird. Because last evening I had the UI set to 1080P/60Hz, and watched a 1080p/23,97fps movie.
Kodi at “Adapt refresh rate” always switched to 30Hz causing considerable judder, until I set Kodi to 1080p/23.97hz and “Adapt refresh rate Off”. Only then would Kodi stay at 24hz and could I watch without judder.
It seems to me that this most basic of all functionalities of OSMC/Kodi is far off the ticket.

I’m very sorry to hear you’re having problems with this.

This shouldn’t be the case at all and I suspect we’d see a lot of reports if videos were not being played back at the correct frame rate. Something might not be quite right with your setup and I’d like to take a closer look.

Some videos are muxed in a way that the frame rate is incorrectly reported to Kodi. But this isn’t the case for well ripped material.

Can you please post a Kodi debug log when you play this file so I can see what’s going on? If there’s an issue, we will of course fix this promptly for you. A full set of logs would be more appreciated.

Cheers

Sam