Video buffer not loading fast enough for playback

OK, so in advancedsettings, I need to add some version of this then, sounds like?

<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>smb://192.168.0.10/</from>
    <to>/mnt/server/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

So if my current “shows” video source currently looks like this:

nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/media/shows

I’m looking at:

<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/media/shows/</from>
    <to>/mnt/server/shows/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

…or maybe just:

<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>nfs://192.168.50.243/</from>
    <to>/mnt/server/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Am I even close…? Thanks, again, for your help. I did place an order for a new 5-port gig Ethernet switch today that’ll be here tomorrow. Figure I may as well take this opportunity to upgrade the network a bit.

What it needs to be is dictated by how you choose to configure your system mount. If your system mount point is attaching nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/media to /mnt/media then…

<from>nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/</from>
<to>/mnt/</to>

But if your system mount point is attaching nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/media to /mnt/server then you would be more like this…

<from>nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/media/</from>
<to>/mnt/server/</to>

Your Kodi library currently has everything stored as nfs://<server><file path> and we want to instead go to <mount point><file path> so you just need to find where in these file paths the two don’t jive and make the substitution there.

1 Like

is the current path setting in Kodi (on the Vero) for my “shows” video source. My RPi is at 192.168.50.243. On the RPi, fstab has /mnt/media set up thusly:

UUID=1627f155-5a19-4bc8-80ee-1e01ff08b8cb /mnt/media ext4 noatime,lazytime,rw,nofail,noauto,x-systemd.automount

It’s unclear to me how this will affect my video source browsing in Kodi once implemented.

It doesn’t matter how it is configured on your RPi that your serving the files from. Step one is to make a system mount on the Vero as Jim posted a link to above. In this process you chose what your mounting from your source and where your mounting it to. Once you have a working mount point on your Vero then in order to actually use it there is two options. One option is to completely dump your existing library and sources (and optimally also delete your thumbnails folder) and then setup your library from scratch using new sources pointing to the system mount you created. The other which is in discussion here you leave everything in Kodi as is and just tell Kodi to redirect to the new path. Kodi will do this completely transparently and everything will work inside Kodi as if nothing had changed. You continue to use Kodi nfs paths in the UI. If you configured a new source that pointed directly to a mount point in the future then that is fine as well as the path substitution wouldn’t affect it.

1 Like

OK, thanks. The “create mount” on the Vero side is where I was confused. So I’m to this point in these directions:

sudo nano /etc/auto.nfs.shares
/mnt/<server1>/<share1> <IP of server1>:</path/to/share1>
/mnt/<server2>/<share2> <IP of server2>:</path/to/share2>

Will this work, or should I stay away from these default folders?

/home/osmc/Movies 192.168.50.243/mnt/media/movies
/home/osmc/TV\ Shows 192.168.50.243/mnt/media/shows

Then my advancedsettings would be

<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/media/shows/</from>
    <to>/home/osmc/TV Shows/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

etc.

Your overthinking it. Look at my response a couple posts up and just use my first example. You don’t need multiple mount points or any complications. You videos are all under the “media” folder on your share. The paths your using in Kodi now are pulling from a share titled “mnt”. As such if you make a mount titled “media” and locate it in /mnt what is located at nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/media will then also be located at /mnt/media which in my mind is logical and therefore easiest to deal with.

/mnt/media 192.168.50.243:/mnt/media

1 Like

I specialize at overthinking things. :upside_down_face:

So now that this checks out:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo systemctl restart autofs
osmc@osmc:~$ ls -lah /mnt/media/
total 64K
drwxrwxrwx   7 osmc osmc 4.0K Mar 22 13:24 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root 4.0K Apr 16 19:19 ..
drwxrwxrwx 199 osmc osmc  20K Dec 31 17:05 books
drwxrwxrwx  14 osmc osmc 4.0K Apr 14 14:50 Downloads
drwx------   2 osmc osmc  16K Mar  8  2019 lost+found
drwxrwxrwx  89 osmc osmc  12K Apr 16 12:38 movies
drwxrwxrwx  21 osmc osmc 4.0K Mar 28 22:21 shows

I still need to modify advancedsettings and can’t just go into my Kodi video source settings at this point and put /mnt/media/shows for my shows source?

Thanks so much for your patient assistance!

As I explained in my HowTo you should NOT change your sources in Kodi when doing path substitution. Just…

nano ~/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

And paste in…

<advancedsettings>
	<pathsubstitution>
		<substitute>
			<from>nfs://192.168.50.243/mnt/</from>
			<to>/mnt/</to>
		</substitute>
	</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Then ctrl+x, then y, then enter. Now back at the terminal type in…

systemctl restart mediacenter

Then try to play something in Kodi to make sure everything is working.

1 Like

Thank you again for this help. I appear to be up and running (files playing in Kodi after mediacenter restart).

1 Like

Your welcome. So did switching to the system mount cure your original issue?

Does not appear to have, no. iperf3 output still the same. I went to reboot Kodi via the settings menu in the app, and after the reboot, my files wouldn’t play (“missing”) until I ran sudo systemctl start autofs on the osmc cli. :person_shrugging:t2:

iperf is testing raw performance between two clients. It is not interacting with your files, mount, or Kodi. The performance of the network in Kodi should have improved though.

I don’t know why it did that but you will probably find a working solution in this post or following that thread a bit farther down…

1 Like

Wow, that looks like a rocky road.

@nicheplayer Not clear to me right now:

• Is the autofs problem now solved after the reboot? (What does sudo systemctl status autofs show after reboot?)
  • The original problem was that the data stream from the NFS server was interrupted when playing video files. Does that still stalls?
1 Like

sudo systemctl enable autofs && reboot looks to have worked. I was playing a test file prior to running that, and I stopped it prior to running the command. When OSMC came back up, I tried to resume that file and got a playback error. Navigated out to the main menu and tried a different file, which worked, so went back to my original file, resumed it, and it, too ran OK from where I’d stopped.

The file I’m testing with is H.265 4K DOLBY-HD and is running without pause or stutter so far (~12 minutes in). I also tried a file that had paused before (H.265 4K DTS-MA), and it’s also playing without stutter so far. Ian Holm has never looked so scary. :smiley:

New Ethernet switch comes today, so I’ll throw it into the mix and just keep an eye on things. @JimKnopf and @darwindesign , I really can’t thank you enough for your patience and expert assistance. I really, really appreciate your time.

2 Likes