What's your reason for buying a Vero?

Start a new post with a list of issues

Sam

This thread is about a purchase decision so it is not the place for a support discussion. The prefered method is to search here and the Kodi forum to find a related discussion, and then post there if you have a question relevant to that topic. For instance your remote issues can be asked about in the thread you started back in July. Topics that seem specific to you should get a new thread (your x265 issue?). Although I don’t have an issue with being pm’d about an issue it is generally prefered to keep support issues an open discussion as you benefit from a larger group of people who may be able to help and the community benefits by having a larger pool of public knowledge.

3 Likes

For me buying a Vero 4k was a simple deduction, I used raspbmc on my many raspberries and when it changed to osmc and the first 4k contents started coming out, especially documentaries, I immediately thought the best device was the one Sam and his team made because i wanted the same support they gave for free with raspbmc, so after purchasing it I also bought my 4k TV, the setup went smooth and everything still works beautifully.
Will keep the device till it breaks, but I can’t wait to see what the new year will bring software and hardware wise.

3 Likes

Similar to Theetjuh, I’ve been using OSMC since it was still called RaspBMC on the Pi1. Pi2 and Pi3 followed with OSMC, but I needed a playback device which

• runs Kodi
  • has a H.265 hardware decoder
  • uses a non-handicapped ethernet port
  • doesn’t spy the crap out of me
  • provides command line access

The Vero 4K was the perfect match for the newly bought NAS. Gone were the days of SATA/USB-adaptors that connected the Pi with a loose 3,5" HDD. Financially supporting an OSS project with an ever-helping leader (and community!) also was a small factor in the buying decision. It felt right and cool at the same time.

My TV’s in-built player could do most of the Vero’s work but doesn’t have a library as shiny and customisable as Kodi. Also, it’s not allowed to go online and received all of its firmware updates via pen drive (yeah, tinfoil hat strong).

5 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

My reasons were simple. Wanted something to play up to 4K and most of the modern audio codecs including Atmos and DTX, with the minimum of fuss. Could have gone with a cheaper Android device, but after a bit of research settled on the Vero 4k+. OSMC is updated regularly and the box is almost plug and play with excellent support. So far so good. Any (rare) issues are usually resolved with a quick reboot.

1 Like

Almost all the same identical reasons. I had lived through most of the Popcorn hour media tanks and a very recent network failure on an A-500 just scuppered what was an excellent 1080p machine. I have moved all my media kit up to 4k now and the superb LG C9 was the final step. The Vero 4k+ and its abilities to do all of the above was the killer kit I needed to complete my local media setup. I have also used an Aeon skin to give almost the same look and feel as my original YAMJ and Popcorn did. I can also use my Harmony One, although its a little clunky with the Vero sometimes but the fact I could still use it was also a plus.

Oh forgot to say critically it does HDR which the Popcorn’s wont do.

I am very impressed so far. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

How so?

This is mostly due to the IR side of things.
Have a Harmony Hub, and since I switched it over to Bluetooth it is really responsive.

Never understood why the IR usage with harmony was so “weird” in the first place.

2 Likes

It is a little slow to respond to key presses and mostly wont recognise holding a key to get auto repeat. I could retune the msec key press value but the vero remote is instantaneous and always works. Its just quirky really and no big deal and I should probably move up to to Harmony hub :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Point taken @darwindesign. Guess I was having a bit of a frustrated gripe. Not the place and not worth griping about it anyway. If it helps, I bought the box as it looked like the most capable for everything that I Wanted and I believe if I knew enough, I could probably get it to that point. I’m learning.

1 Like

I may have come off a bit different than I intended. There is no issues bringing up the fact that you have had issues that have left you frustrated here. I was just trying to say that these thing can get sorted but they need to be brought up in the correct place. Trying to troubleshoot a handful of issues is problematic enough when it is done in a single thread, but it doesn’t work at all stuck way down in a thread of a separate topic.

1 Like