When playing a standard definition video, or a 720p/24 video, is there any way to completely avoid upscaling?

You shouldn’t be using any screen calibration or setting the GUI to anything other than 1080p. This doesn’t seem like you read the guide.

1 Like

I used screen calibration to adjust the subtitle bar for the different resolutions because you have to set it independently

Why the hell would you do that? :laughing:

If you want to change the vertical position of the subtitles, fine; but you must leave everything else in the calibration screens set to their default values, otherwise you eliminate the benefits of using a whitelist. So, I really don’t think it matters what the calibration screen looks like at 576p.

Before I knew about screen fit/ just scan/full pixel I would calibrate the videos to make them fit in the screen for the different resolutions and refresh rates but I found out it affects picture quality cause of the scaling. If the square is not square on the calibration for the resolution (of which subtitles should only be changed) then the same wrong pixel ratio would exist in the video aswell no? (Putting back the gui to 1080p and playing a video in the resolution that was calibrated for subs and thereafter playing the video). Some resolutions above 720p are affected by the wrong pixel ratio also so I took them of my whitelist

Edit: If you prefer you can press back or tab during playing a dvd and navigate to screen calibration to see the square is not square

No. If you use HDMI signalling, your TV is taking 720 pixels and expanding them to 768 or reducing them to 640 to get the 4:3 ratio. The calibration screen just stretches everything out to a 16:9 ratio - hence unsquare square.

Thanx for the info but I tested a 16:9 video without hdmi avi signaling

As Graham says, no. The calibration screen is designed for output modes where the pixels are square. In 576p or 480p, the pixels are rectangular, so the image of the square won’t look square, even though the calibration is actually correct. It’s the calibration screen that’s wrong, not the image.

On the Vero 4k+ all resolutions below 720p and above: 1280x800, 1280x1024, 1366x768, 1440x900, 1680x1050
The above 720p should be square pixels

Edit: just found out the below are mostly 4:3 and the above 720p resolutions aren’t 16:9
Thanx grahamh and angry.sardine

That’s very helpful