Who uses Adjust Display Refresh Rate?

Ah, I see. Yeah, 720p broadcasts used to be quite common in the US on cable at one point; Europe and Sky standardised on 1080i instead.

there are loads of 720p broadcasts in central europe (germany, austria)

@grahamh for me yes. 480 60hz .

I get 720P and 1080i for all of my OTA primary channel broadcasts in the US. It is all MPEG2. I get 480i on digital subchannels.

1 Like

Is that not a function of the Whitelist and not the adjust refresh rate? Isn’t the default behavior (and everything outside of v18 and using whitelist) for Kodi to scale any video below the UI resolution, to the UI resolution, and if adjust refresh is turned on it changes the display to the source frame rate (or best match if unsupported by the TV)?

On my particular setup the SD resolution scaling on my Pi is much better than my television but letting it manipulate the refresh rate gives poor results (as would be expected). Personally even if my TV looked better doing the scaling I would find it hard looking at that UI every time I put a video on pause or turned on subtitles if I was pushing SD to my TV. :smile:

You need to turn on Adjust refresh rate if you want Kodi to switch to a different resolution/rate than the GUI. On v17 it would only switch to resolutions equal to the GUI or higher. On v18 it will only switch to whitelisted resolutions (higher or lower than the GUI). Also, the definition of ‘best match’ is different on v18 than it was on v17.

Yes, that’s the other big downside. Pause is not so bad but if you are navigating round the GUI at 576p it’s not pleasant.

Only 720p TV broadcasts here in Germany :wink:

1 Like

Ah, IC. Are they all 16:9 or wider? (they should be by DVB rules for HDTV).

Wider? All 16:9, I guess. Haven’t seen 4:3 for a long time. And not even sure whether that would be native 4:3 or rather 4:3 in a 16:9 frame.

In UK, old 4:3 shows (and there’s lots of them) tend to be broadcast as 4:3. Then when the ads come on they are 16:9 or 2.4:1. It’s only recently I found some shows are broadcast postboxed to 4:3 within a 16:9 frame which is only 544x576 so the actual image is only 408 pixels wide.

I enabled it last week with a fresh install and it locked up my viewing. Don’t know if it was the projector or kodi, but a could ssh into the r-pi. Reboot, tried a different file to playback – locked up again.

That was sufficient testing for me to disable it.

I have a 800p low-end projector - about 6 yrs old now, I think.

Same here, but we don’t have CATV.

Get about 90 subchannels OTA ATSC which is mpeg2.ts for the RF channel sharing 20 Mbps. They can split that bandwidth into subchannels and tweak the compression/resolution as they like.

There’s one low-power RF-channel here that has like 30-40 sub-channels. It is mostly a joke, since everything they broadcast is unwatchable it is so highly compressed and low resolution. It isn’t even 480i. They add in a bunch of audio-only subchannels too.

ABC does 720p on the main subchannel and 480p on the other 3-4 subs. Generally look nice. All the other “networks” use 1080i for their main subchannel and 480p for 3 subchannels.

Sorry if this is way off-topic.

I have it enabled. 50Hz, 60Hz and 59.94Hz covers most of what I “need”.
/L

1 Like