Will there be a S922X based Vero 8k?

as this was never answered i would like to know, as i currently run the MINIX NEO U22-XJ. it runs the S922X-J and 4gb of DDR4. i am running CoreELEC 19.2 RC3, and it plays EVERYTHING flawlessly (Besides TrueHD/Atmos) and is super fast.

so what about this SOC is not Appropriate for a future iteration of hardware.

Longevity and future codec support.
The higher failure rates of S922X and poor yields are now somewhat resolved; but thermal dissapation is still a concern.

We have a roadmap, and the S922X is not part of it.

1 Like

interesting, actually this box under load runs cooler than the Vero 4K+

What are you doing on the device where you are managing to load all 6 cores and fully load VPU and GPU under CE?

I suspect you are not putting the device to full tilt. We did evaluate S922X - and we didn’t like it.

i was refering to apples to apples, playing a 4k HDR10 mkv on both results in a much lower operating temp on the S922X.

following comments and other threads, i would assume you will be using the S905X4 for your next box. with AV1 support it’s a no brainer. just hope you use DDR4 and WiFi6

That may well be true, but if that’s all you’re doing, you don’t need an S922X.

Personally I think there’s a case for a more powerful and more flexible device. AV1 playback is certainly essential on a next gen device, but I’d like to see something that can handle literally any video you throw at it, including Hi10P playback up to 4K, and h.264 up to 4K60 rather than 4K30.

On the sort of timescale we may be talking about, 8K playback may be becoming a necessary checkbox feature, too.

Something powerful enough to decode 1080i/50 and 1080i/60 in software would be good, so we can take advantage of software-mode deinterlacing. (Although sadly, so long as VC-1 software decoding remains single core, I doubt that will ever be doable for VC-1).

Enough power to upscale to 4K using Kodi’s higher-quality scaling algorithms (like lanczos3) might be interesting.

Something that can transcode 4K HEVC in real time might be good, so it can act as a stand-alone Plex server.

USB 3.0 ports are definitely needed, preferably supplying enough juice that you don’t need a powered USB hub, and bonus points if there are four genuinely independent USB ports rather than two.

I’d also like something that supports Widevine L1 and is recognisable as a certified device for Netflix, Disney+, etc. I’m so tired of other Internet steaming-media players with crappy image quality and/or no resolution or refresh-rate switching!

And although Sam almost certainly doesn’t agree, I think both single- and dual-layer Dolby Vision support will be essential.

Clearly we’re talking about a far more expensive device here; but there are £300+ media players out there; there’s a market for them.

EDIT: And,come to think of it, something powerful enough to render BD-J blu ray menus without the need for hardware acceleration would be great too.

1 Like

I’d love to pay more for a dolby vision compatible more powerful oscm device. Av1 support and higher quality upscaling would also be nice…

Also if the device would need to be locked down and would not allow the free and open OS that OSMC stand for?

Honestly, I would be pretty relaxed about that. I know there are plenty of people to whom the open source nature of OSMC and Kodi are very important, but I’m not one of them. I use a Vero 4K+ because it handles most file formats with adequate performance, it decodes video accurately (disconcertingly rare!), it can bitstream any audio format, and it can usually output the video at native resolution and refresh-rate. How it achieves those things, I really don’t care. And if going partially, or even fully, closed-source would allow Dolby Vision output and 4K HDR streaming on Netflix and Disney Plus, I’d say yes to that in a heart-beat - and I’m probably not the only one.

You guys have been taking some tentative steps in that direction anyway with secureOSMC…

OSMC will remain open source as it was yesterday, is today, and will be tomorrow.

I suspect you also read some things on the CE forum on the 3D MVC post. For the record:

1. CE requested the patches for 3D MVC enablement before, which we provided.
  2. OSMC is an open source platform and the 3D MVC code is available in entirety under GPLv2 and is in public repos on GitHub.
  3. The implementation of secureOSMC is a proprietary operating system for storing and provisioning secrets. This is a binary blob, and operates in the same way that the Raspberry Pi’s VideoCore GPU blobs do. We’ve added secureOSMC so we can improve the user experience in the near future for users by adding support for services which have restrictions set by providers. There is no obligation to use this component.

So all of the 3D implementation is open source, and CE have received the complete 3D MVC drop. I suspect their issue is that they do not have a 3D TV between them. We’re under the obligation to provide source, which we do, but not to handhold.

There is one exception, subtitling. This does indeed run under secureOSMC (a proprietary RTOS) due to latency requirements and no guarantee of scheduling performance of the Linux kernel

secureOSMC will handle Widevine L1, HDCP2.2 and keep some secrets, such as Widevine keybox, HDCP2.2 keys. It was important to roll this out as a proof of concept for the long term – but it doesn’t really do anything yet. Its value will come in the future.

Sam

2 Likes