Wired Network Slow - Wireless Fast

This is what I get Sam.

Can you upload a log so we can see negotiated link speed etc?

Sam

Just a standard OSMC log?

grab-logs -A

1 Like

https://paste.osmc.tv/eniwurazev

Can you install ethtool and check output of ethtool eth0. I had thought we put the negotiated link speed in the logs but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Sam

Here we go:

The device seems to be operating at 100Mb/s.
You could try rebooting the switch, verifying the cable is at least Cat5E etc.

Sam

Cat 7 cables. I’ll reboot switch as suggested.

Can you try with a Cat5e or Cat6 cable?

Sam

It was cat 5e actually. Just switched it to cat 7. Want me to run a test again?

Ta

I’m not sure why the speed isn’t being negotiated at 1000M, but that’s going to be the reason why speed is limited to 100Mbps.

Can you describe the network setup in more detail?

Sam

Because the router/switch is only advertising 100 Mbits/sec.

Router is virgin hub 3.0 connected to home plugs which support 1000mbs connected to gigabit switch, all with cat7 cable.

There are a few things that I’ve noticed on the log:

1. After having obtained an IP address, the Vero then takes 16 seconds to reach the Internet.
  2. The log shows two instances of the out-of-memory “killer” being called, killing both kodi.bin and AESink.
  3. This is more for Sam but the log says that it has “Reached target Network is Online” at 20:15:39 but the IP address isn’t allocated until 20:15:43.

I’m not sure if this is going to affect the network performance but the applications you’ve installed seem to be using too much memory. It’s not every day that we see oom-killer zap two different programs on a Vero4K.

Do you mean powerline adapters?

Yep

Re. Memory outages, I have Sab, radarr, sonarr and may have triggered oom when Sab was unpacking at the same time I was playing 4k film from same drive

Powerline adapters can be very unreliable. Is the Vero4K+ attached to a powerline adapter?

Yes. They may be unreliable but less so than my WiFi. With adapters I get nearly 100% of my expected download speed