1-IN, 2-OUT HDMI splitter

Good morning. This may not sound like a Vero issue, but stick with me. I have a Samsung TV / Sonos Beam 2 sound bar which the Vero feeds into. The tv and soundbar don’t like each other very much though - on switch on the tv goes through a roulette wheel of alternating messages. Basically saying that E-Arc is connected or E-Arc is disconnected. Depending on how this ends determines whether I have audio through the sound bar or tv speakers. It can sometimes be remedied by unplugging power and HDMI cables for all the sources, but it’s a faff and not something the rest of the family will do. My question, at last, is could I take the HDMI o/p from the Vero into a 1-IN, 2-OUT HDMI splitter. Feed one of these to the TV’s one-connect box (all the samsung’s i/p’s and o/p’s are on a separate remote box) and the other straight to the soundbar? I’ve read on here about other information which passes along the HDMI cable and was concerned splitting it like this may introduce other problems? I know this then ties the soundbar to the Vero but I can live with tv speakers for most other things anyway. Any thoughts appreciated!

Many users have done this. The splitter ought to make up an EDID which includes the capabilities of both the TV and the soundbar so you get all the things the TV can do - resolutions, HDR formats. You don’t have to worry about the soundbar capabilities because those are all set manually in Kodi.

HTH

1 Like

You might consider a matrix rather than a splitter - something with (say) four switchable inputs and two outputs.

1 Like

Thanks very much for that. It was exactly that I was concerned about.

Thanks for this. I don’t think I’ve come across a matrix like this before. Would this be better in some way than the splitter option?

Only in so far as it would allow you to connect multiple source devices to TV and sound bar instead of just one.

1 Like

Ah - good thought. I’ll go look!
Thanks

Another option - according to spec, there should be an optical audio adapter included with the bar. If your TV has optical audio output, you can try that, if not, then Vero has one.

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered that, but (correct me if I’m wrong) optical can’t carry some of the higher spec audio feeds and since I’d swapped to the beam version 2 I wanted to make the most of it! (Although it can’t handle some of those feeds anyway, and I doubt I’d hear the difference with my old ears!)

Good morning - I’d appreciate a little advice please regarding the spec I need for a 1-In, 2-Out HDMI splitter. I’m getting more than a little confused on Amazon. Is there any particular thing I should be looking for (eg 4K 30 Hz or 4K 60 Hz??? and all the other figures they’re throwing up)
Thanks

Do you have a Vero 4K+ or a Vero V? Something that says it’s 18 Gbps (or Gb/s) is fine for a Vero 4K+. I use one of these, and it’s generally okay:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-18Gbps-D-olby-Monitors-Projector-grey-black/dp/B083JVPXDY/

(It has a couple of other potentially useful features in this context: it can take the EDID from just one of the outputs - e.g. the TV - and ignore the EDID on the other one; and it can downscale 4K to 1080p on one output, so if the sound bar doesn’t support all the video formats it needs to, you’re okay.)

The Vero V may possibly benefit from something that supports HDMI 2.1, but I defer to @grahamh for confirmation on that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s brilliant, thank you so much. Yes, it’s a Vero 4k+, so I’m going with your link.
Thanks again.

I have a 4x2 4k@60 Matrix switch. Previously I had a 1x4 splitter. If you look online, you’ll discover that not all of these switches and splitters are the same. Some work and some don’t - depending on the specifics of the equipment and signals.

The 4x2 Matrix switch removes HDCP from HDMI signals when it is HDCP 1.4 or less. HDCP 2+ breaks it and no video or audio passes.

I need it because my old 1080p projector doesn’t support HDCP.

I also have an HDMI audio to TOSLINK converter device. The 15 yr old receiver we currently use doesn’t support most of the new audio formats and the conversion box makes them all 5.1 PCM.

HDCP has screwed people with older equipment. The HDMI group is so concerned about piracy, they are making it easier to just get content without any DRM and avoid getting new equipment.

Don’t know if people have been following, but the HDMI group refused to allow AMD GPUs on Linux to use a F/LOSS HDCP solution. The HDMI and HDCP specifications are secret, which makes it hard for anyone that doesn’t pay their hostage tax, which includes retaining the secret, to create an implementation that is tied to all our A/V equipment. No consumer wants HDCP.