10 bit and banding fixed?

It is, but not to the detriment of the problem I’m having - it just annoys people because they had to wait a tiny bit of time.

Ok movie working:

https://paste.osmc.tv/azutuceceq

Movie throwing a hissy*

https://paste.osmc.tv/fajunowiqi

*on reboot I couldn’t get it to fail immediately - i had to launch a movie, stop it, return to menu, launch a different one / it again.

Hope that is ok for the logs?

Ok I tried enabling HDR auto switching. How do I know if it is displaying 10 bit color?

Your TV will likely display the bit depth via an OSD layer.

Thanks for the logs.

My guess is if you turn off HDR Autoswitching under Settings -> Display, it will always work.
OSMC is indeed switching you in to a mode that your projector does not advertise support for. Your display says that it only supports:

480p60hz
576p50hz
720p60hz
1080i60hz
1080p60hz
720p50hz
1080i50hz
1080p50hz
1080p24hz
2160p30hz
2160p25hz
2160p24hz
2160p50hz420
2160p60hz420

I will work on a solution for you.

Also interesting: your display does not advertise support for a preferred mode, which is strange, but not relevant to the issue at hand.

Sam

Hey Sam,

The display is a JVC 5900 it’s a 1080p projector with an 18gbps board that uses eshift tech to pump out a 3k image or faux k as it’s lovingly referred to. This line of projectors have the best blacks etc before you get into silly money.

The processor (Lyngdorf MP50) is the more interesting case. It’s hdmi 2.0 but not full fat 18gbps and yet will do 10 bit HDR from UHD players - it’s either 4:2:2 10bit 2160p or 4:4:4 10 bit 2160p Ive forgot which It will also support Dolby Vision if you put it in passthru mode.

I’ve tried this and changing the hdmi settings in the menus with no luck, you can do some cool stuff with it but isn’t relevant to this prob. Turning HDR autoswitching off still resulted in the blue screen of doom.

Maybe some of that helps, my primary purpose for purchasing this was for HDR 10bit.

Cheers.
r.

Thanks for your response.

Yes – I understand that the JVC’s are a good compromise of projector without talking about telephone numbers. That might change in the near future with Optoma projectors.

From the looks of your logs, it looks like 444,10-bit is not supported by your receiver. This would explain the lack of a picture when HDR autoswitching is enabled, but not necessarily the blue screen when it isn’t.

Can you post a log again with HDR autoswitching on, trying to play a movie, where you only see a blue screen and Adjust Refresh Rate is enabled?

We can get 4:2:0 support working for you which would solve your problems. At the moment I believe this causes a green screen. I was looking in to that issue but parked it slightly as the user who reported the issues changed their display anyway.

Sam

Hey Sam,

Optima are making some.strides, JVC are probably going to enter the native 4k market this year with a bullb and possibly cheaper laser model than the Z1, which was released broken.

The second log I sent was a movie with auto refresh and HDR autoswitching on, both logs have those parameters in fact. I’m in London till the 4th.

I can’t remember what the blue ray players pump out to support these boards but maybe it is 4:2:0 I thought it might have also supported 4:2:2 - regardless if you can get me HDR from it that would be awesome.

Gonna be scorchio today!

I am looking forward to a permanent fix for 10 bit. Enabling hdr auto switch does nothing to fix the washed out color that I experience on 4k content on the Vero 4K.

The raw EDID from the log he posted shows Deep Color support (10/12-bit) for YCbCr 4:4:4 upto a maximum pixel clock of 300MHz. It should support 10-bit YCbCr 4:4:4 for 4K 24/25/30Hz. Since the pixel clock is limited to 300MHz, it will not support Deep Color for 4:2:0.

It’s either 4:2:2 10 bit or 4:4:4 I’ve I feeling it’s the first one that works with hdmi 2.0 ‘lite’

I wonder why it’s not an option in media players but is on blu ray players

In my experience the HDR autoswitch can be hit and miss even when playing the same file. Play the same movie 10 times and it might switch 2/3 times then it might even switch all 10 times if you try again. I know this is being worked on, hopefully we will have a fully working autoswitch soon.

Using forced 444 10 bit for now, mostly does the job.

How do I force 10 bit?

Like this.

1 Like

The permanent fix (if your display supports 444,10) came some months ago.
Did you try enabling 10-bit manually?

@sam_nazarako. I’m home on the 4th July and can test anything you have cooked up if available. I’m sure you have bigger fish n all. Give me a shout when you want me to test a fix.

Cheers

Do you mean adding the hotfix? Or something else?

The flickering issues were fixed in 2017 and banding was fixed in early 2018.

HDR autoswitching was added for convenience, but isn’t quite there yet. You may still want to enable it manually using the hotfix.

I’m taking a break until 12th July, but still keeping an eye on the forums etc if any issues crop up.

I will work on the 4:2:0 issue, as once that is resolved I think everything will play correctly for your setup.

Sam

Now I am a little confused. I still see banding on 4k movies? Is the hdr auto switching supposed to fix banding and enable 10 bit or what?

Do you mean fixed as in use the hotfix? Does the hotfix force 10 bit?

I’ve explained this in more detail elsewhere.

If you watch 10-bit content without 10-bit manually enabled or using the hotfix, you will of course see banding because of the reduced bit depth.

So to me it sounds like you should apply the hotfix for your setup. This will enable 10-bit output for you. The actual fixes for banding and flickering were addressed some time ago however; and the original issue was flickering, then banding caused when 10-bit output was enabled. From your posts it sounds like you haven’t yet enabled 10-bit output.

Sam

The problem I have is that, when I enable 10-bit manually, 2160p HDR files work fine without banding but 2160p SDR files (such as the recently released 4K77) have oversaturated colours. Files in lower resolutions (such as 1080p) are not affected.

Will this be fixed in the next update also? Thanks. :slight_smile: