1080p or 4k: either or, but not both!

Hi,

Long time OSMC user, but I have an issue that keeps coming back to haunt me. Hoping y’all are able to help me :pray:

Hardware:

• Host: Rapberry PI 4B (4GB)
  • TV: Samsung Q60t (65" 4k)
  • AVR: Yamaha RX-V685

Issue:
a) I see stuttering in some 1080p playback, which I can kinda solve by whitelisting the 1080p resolution/framerates.
b) if I do the above, I break high-bitrate 4k playback, and I have no idea why!

When either works, they work flawlessly. Full size blueray remuxes with HDR + dts/atmos are fine without the pi breaking much of a sweat. But I have a hard time finding a configuration that doesn’t break something.

I have played the same file I’ve used in the logs below recently, without any problems. Same situation with other known good material.

Here is a solid debug info dump, including:

• debug logs from a garbled 4k playback
  • modeinfo
  • mediainfo for the 4k file
  • kodi settings
  • a config diff that I think broke 4k but made all 1080p stutter free (maybe don’t focus so much on this, might be a red herring)

Any help would be hugely appreciated :pray: Let me know if there is any other information that is needed to get to the bottom of this!

Hi,

I suggest reading this guide by @angry.sardine:-

Regards Tom.

Hi Tom,

I have done that, but I did another pass and changed my menu resolution which was at 4k/24. Otherwise, I think I’m following all recommendations in there.

Still, no dice. Was there something in particular you noticed? Note sure where to go from here.

The logs show selection of the right whitelisted resolution and frame rate. Any other ideas?

Best regards,
Edvard