16GB SD Card only shows 1.6GB

I’ve recently started getting some disk spare errors in my torrent client (Transmission) and upon running df -h command I noticed that the main partition on which OSMC is installed only shows 1.6GB in size with only about 7% remaining. I have no clue how this came to be, I installed OSMC from the online installer and been running weekly updates. Is this a situation in which I have to “expand” the partition to use the entire disk? Is there an easy way to do that?
The SD card is a Samsung brand and I’ve only had it for about 6 months or so.

Edit: I’m not downloading any torrents to the local SD card, that’s the strange thing about it. I’m downloading on an external hard drive which has plenty of free space.

Show the output of df -h.
Also have you used the OSMC installer or NOOBS?

I did not use NOOBS, I just used the online installer

Well my best guess is your 16G SD is actually a 2G SD.
Post the URL for dmesg | paste-log and fdisk -l | paste-log

or maybe the sd card didn’t got resized upon installation.

Unlikely, we’ve never seen a resizing issue before.

I think there’s a physical problem with the card itself. I loaded up a partition tool in Windows and I am seeing 3 partitions
243 MB FAT32 partition
1.6 GB EXT4
13.1 GB unallocated space

The problem is, the card is acting as if it’s flagged read-only. It’s a microSD so there’s no lock switch, that’s the first thing I thought of, maybe it accidentally got tripped. I can’t format it no matter what app I am using, I even tried my digital camera. Tried disk utility in OSX, still no luck.
I’m using MiniTool Partition Wizard in Windows 10 and I tried writing zeros and ones to the entire drive, no luck, still comes up showing the same 3 partitions after it thinks it’s done.

Physical errors would explain a few things, such as my Transmission client reverting back to the same torrent files upon restart.

Try this

Already have. It errors out. Threw the card away, ordering another one.

Why such a waste
Try GParted

If the card wasn’t the issue, it would have worked up until this point with the multitude of apps I’ve tried. Either way, no huge waste, it was only $7 and lasted me about a year. Hopefully this new one will last me longer.

Question. After a fresh install of OSMC using the online installed, it still shows 1.4GB unallocated space. I am assuming this is because I’m looking at the partition table under Windows?

Yes. There is only a 200 MB partition with the installer files the rest will be allocated on first boot.

Honestly, I don’t see a big problem here. However the situation came about, you have 7% free space and no intention of using the rest. As long as the system’s running, and you control your log sizes and apt cache, you’re fine. :wink: I used to run my SD card as explicitly read-only because it was always getting improperly shutdown for one reason or another, and I had too many corruption issues.

Our initramfs will cover most unexpected power loss scenarios, although that’s no excuse to pull the plug…

Sam

Glad to hear it. I knew I should have clarified that my Pi wasn’t running OSMC when I had it configured that way, and between the fact that my setup is a little less likely to ever lose power now, and you say you cover most issues, I’m in no rush to do that again. Trying to run an RO root is not without its problems :wink:

That won’t work properly on OSMC. With Raspbmc we looked at a kiosk mode once, but too much hassle.