2.4 GHZ WiFi slow

Hi there,

Im using a 2.4 GHZ WiFi due to a router/modem restriction from my ISP. I dont watch via WiFi but use it to copy files from my Win-PC to an Ext-HDD attached to the Vero. The max. transfer speed i get is around 1.3 MB/S. From my understanding thats not the best I can get. Copying a single movie takes some time.

Is there any specific setting in Kodi or the config I need to hook up?

Thanks in advance

How are you transferring the file?
You will benefit from Samba or the FTP server, as SFTP (via SSH) will be slow.

For now im accessing the Ext.-HDD via the Windows File Explorer and the IP of the Vero. Samba is enabled in Kodi.
Im sorry that I dont know if the way i use is Samba or SSH since network stuff isnt my hobbyhorse.

Edit:
I was able to try out the ftp-variant using the ftp app from the osmc store and filezilla. Its even worse. This way I only get around 80-130 kib/s

That seems very slow.

How far are you from the AP?
Do you have performance issues with playback / streaming?

Sam

Its definetely not the distance. Other 2.4 GHZ clients like my phone reach 30 MBit/s (~3,75 MB) in the exact same spot.

Before there is a Leia release with netflix properly implemented, I use my vero 99% for watching stuff stored locally on USB devices (2x HDDs, 2x sticks). So I cant really tell about streaming speed or quality. Local playback works fine.

Check wifi speed with iperf3 to exclude any external factors.

On my PC? That is wired to the Router/Modem.

How do I install and use iperf3 on Kodi?

Yes between the Vero and any other device in your LAN ideally the wired ones

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

Then run sudo apt-get install iperf3

From the discussions in this thread, you talk about 1.3MB/s (which is megabyte/sec == 10.4Mbps.
Question: How many other devices do you have hooked up to the AP?
In my household, I have 2 WiFi (5 Ghz and 2.4Ghz). All our slow devices are going onto the 2.4Ghz network, while the fast devices connect to the 5Ghz.
The Slowest device you have, which is actively connected and transfering data through the same IP, will define the max speed other devices can transfer.

Even if AP Manufacturer tell you can forward 300Mbps through your AP - that is wrong.
The slowest device will always define the max speed for the others, even if you have a MiMo setup.

Tested it @ home, and I have loads of old and new devices, and it only worked out right when we had separated the slow devices from the fast ones.

Note that the more slow devices are using the AP at the same time, the lower the actual overall speed for all devices will be.

I was able to get about 6-7Mbyte/s speed when copying files through wifi on external HDD connected to Vero via usb.
Router was Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD, 2.4Ghz only

Try to set in your router’s wifi settings the wifi channel width to 40MHz, or change channel.

Couldnt try iperf yet.
But I messed around with different channels to different daytimes. And voila, I was able to reach around 3,4 MB/s at around 02:00 in the morning. Seems the 2,4 GHZ net is pretty crowded in my neighbourhood and people tend to switch channels like I do…
But thats ok for now.

I will convince my ISP to send me a modernized Modemrouter able to work in 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ at the same time. Thanks for the suggestions!

I do not recommend that anyone uses 40 MHz unless they are in a very sparsely populated area.

For 2.4 GHz you should use only 3 or 4 channels. See Buffering & lagging after transition from ethernet to Wifi - #18 by JimKnopf for a discussion of which ones to choose. Don’t go for the in-between channels.

Final update:
My dual band WiFi-Modem arrived today. Coping files now runs with 10-11 megabyte per second.
That is definetely enough for me (for now). Transfering HD-movies wont take a lifetime anymore.
Problem solved for me.

1 Like

Nice one. I was on ethernet all the time. Even with Dual-Band Wifi, if it is not next to it, it won’t be as fast.

10-11MB/s is painfully slow, compared to todays USB3.0 drives or gigabit LAN. However, Vero 4k has only USB2.0, so, even with gigabit LAN there will be bottleneck at 30MB/s.

The question is, what do you need it for?
The Vero devices are Media-Players, They are not servers!
They have been designed and optimized to play back medias, and I have rarely seen real examples of even 4K medias playing back at higher rates than 100Mbps - and then, it was in-House for testing.
If you get your medias over the wire etc., you even get 4K UHD Stremaing from Apple with 25Mbps - which was possible to feed through all I/O connectivity capabilities of the old Vero 1 device (except it could not play back 4K content).

You want to have faster I/O, Fine. Go get some decent hardware and build a server with it (many here did, so did I).
But guys - please stop saying that you need the latest and fastest I/O connectivity (USB 3.0 and Gigabit - Ok, it has been re-added on the Vero 4k+) on the vero devices. This would be utterly overkill (at the moment), would require differnet hardware (Not off the shelf), and would currently almost double the price of the Vero device.

1 Like

It would be very useful for transferring large files (movies) in/out of USB 3.0 external HDD connected to Vero4k, which is connected gigabit LAN to my PC. Why being slow with 100Mbit LAN and USB 2.0, when you can have interfaces 10x faster? Why you would want to wait 10mins, when you can wait for 1 min? I can do all transfers in no time and finish my work. I dont need to do something else in meantime, until it gets transferred, and then return back to finish my work.

Life is too short to waste it by slow transfer speed.

Vero4k was introduced in 2017, 1Gbit LAN and USB3.0 are here for pretty long time. Vero4k is claimed future proof for about 5yrs. Those fast interfaces should be there in default.

For now, when I need to transfer large files, I will plug that external USB 3.0 HDD into my PC directly.
Yes, a little inconvenient. But those cons of Vero are heavily outweighted by its pros, so I can live with that.

All I was write was just a little sigh, that Vero4k could have Gbit LAN (4k+ have it already) + USB 3.0.
I think its CPU can handle it. Regarding higher price…well, nobody can tell how much higher it can be.

I can :wink:

It’s not viable.

4 Likes