2 addons not working with distutils module dependency

On both an existing and fresh new Vero 4K+ Matrix install, I have 2 addons that are failing with a module distutils not found error.

The addons are Umbrella and RockClean. I have raised a support request with Umbrella dev and recieved a response here : Umbrella throwing error: distutils module not found · Issue #38 · umbrellaplug/umbrellaplug.github.io · GitHub

Something to do with the OSMC Kodi build and the version of Python being used?

I would add both addons are fine on my Windows & NDroid/CoreElec installs.

Thanks

Here I get:

Python 3.9.2 (default, Feb 28 2021, 17:03:44)
[GCC 10.2.1 20210110] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import distutils
>>> dir()
['__annotations__', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__loader__', '__name__', '__package__', '__spec__', 'distutils']
>>>

So it seems distutils is available.

Most times you want to install a python package pip is your friend: install it to the system and the rest is often easily fixed.

On my clean “bullseye”-test box I did “sudo apt-get install python3-pip”, and it recommended distutils, so I suggest:

> sudo apt-get install python3-pip python-pip-whl python3-distutils python3-lib2to3 python3-setuptools python3-wheel

ps. posted on github too, if there are more people with the problem.

2 Likes

Outside core Python, doesn’t Kodi always require any additional modules to be bundled as Kodi addons? It always clearer to me what is and is not considered core Python on Windows and OSX because Kodi packages Python with those. On Linux variants, Kodi uses whatever Python version is installed, but I didn’t think that would automatically mean Kodi would recognizes any module you installed with pip. Or maybe I’m just still misunderstanding Python bundling on the Linux variants.

AIUI, on Linux Kodi uses the same python that’s available to the OS so should find all the same modules. On other platforms, Kodi has it’s own python build which can be different from the OS.

Yes. This should be the case; with My OSMC being the only exception.

Just an update.

I haven’t had time to download distutils yet but I did install Umbrella on another Vero 4K which was still on the Dec 21 OSMC version and that was fine so guess there was a Python upgrade since then where distutis is deprecated.

Anyways, worst case scenario, I can always revert to Dec 21 version but am sure the distutild download advice will work.

Thanks

Thank you bud, this did the trick!

The Umbrella guy said this was a mistake. It doesn’t actually need distutils and he will correct the dependencies. Don’t know about the other addon though.

1 Like

This solved a problem I had with one addon missing ‘distutils.util’ no module. Cheers