21:9 ultrawide support 2560x1080

ok what is the statement to copy that to a txt document.

example

ls /media/* to see the name of your USB stick.

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/rawedid > /media/<nameofyourUSBstick>/edid.txt

but to change the last line for kernal message log

Either use grab-logs -A which includes a logs (also Kernel) as it always is good to get the big picture. Or for just the Kernel logs it is grab-logs -K.

grab-logs -A > /media/<nameofyourUSBstick>/logfile.txt

That will be a very big file. From your PC, open the file in a text editor, copy all of it to the clipboard (ctrl-A, ctrl-C in most editors) then with a browser, go to paste.osmc.tv, paste the clipboard in (ctrl-V) then click Save (top right). The URL will change to something like http://paste.osmc.tv/abecidofug. Copy that in here and we can read your log.

looks like it did it automatically.

https://paste.osmc.tv/egebimotoj

Just to recap, you are getting a picture at 1920x1080p50hz (current setting in Kodi), right?

I canā€™t see in that log where you attempt to set the resolution to 2560x1080p, either at 50Hz or at 60Hz. Can you try both (ie set the refreshrate to 50 or 60 at 1920x1080 first, then attempt to change to 2560x1080). Then post logs again.

yes i go back to 1920x1080 and get a picture that way.

i have tried to set it to that, but i canā€™t see the screen so i reverted back.

am i meant to just keep it at 2560x1080 as if i do that i canā€™t read the screen.

or do i accept the change 2560x1080, then attempt to go back to 1920x1080, then do the logs?

Just grab the logs after you have attempted to change to 2560x1080. First try at 50Hz then at 60Hz. Vero will be switching to that resolution then switching back to 1920x1080 after waiting for you to click Yes. We should be able to see what happens during those 10-15 seconds. So:

• reboot
  • set resolution to 1920x1080 with 50hz and accept that if it prompts you to
  • set resolution to 2560x1080 and wait for the GUI to reappear
  • set refreshrate to 60hz and accept that
  • set resolution to 2560x1080 and wait for the GUI to reappear
  • upload logs the way you did before

https://paste.osmc.tv/yesulukuci

Iā€™m running out of ideas. You could try one thing which might shed some light on the problem. I guess you now have ssh access to the vero. So could you try limiting the output to 8 bits:

echo 8bitnow | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

Then attempt 2560x1080p50hz again.

same results again.

am i meant to go back to 16 or32 bit

should i run the same statement now

echo 16bitnow | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

has this resolution been tested on a monitor like this? maybe all 2560x1080 monitors has this issue?

Just reboot to go back to the default 10 bits.

No-one on the OSMC team has a 21:9 monitor. A little googling turned this up, which suggests there are problems with other OSs. Do you have a linux PC, by chance?

no i donā€™t have a linux pc, can you send 2560x1080 to your assumed 16:9 monitor to see if the picture stil is jumbled, you can compared it against windows pc doing 2560x1080 on your 16:9 monitor, you would need to get osmc to look like your windows pc when runnign that resolution.

The way Windows handles resolutions is different. It lists a load of resolutions that arenā€™t supported by your monitor and uses the graphics card to convert them to something the monitor does support.

Your screenshot above may give us some clues, except we donā€™t know if that was at 50Hz or 60Hz.

ok, maybe you will support it later, i am not using the monitor anymore and selling off the 4k+ anyway.

thanks for your efforts.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately these devices are primarily for use with TVs and projectors supporting the common video resolutions ie 16:9 aspect ratio (albeit with masking). Iā€™ve got to say, though, LGā€™s EDIDs are rather quirky - they donā€™t follow the industry standard specifications which makes things a bit difficult unless a kernel coder can actually get his hands on such a display.

ok, do you want me to sell it back to you (the company) at a discount, or do you want me to go via eBay, it is in near mint condition, light usage of only a few days.

Iā€™m just a code contributor.

You would be on your own to find a buyer for your device.

ok i am back to using it now, i recomend getting a loan of the ā€˜very commonā€™ monitor to test it yourself so you can actually support the resolution without users having to do your testing for your product support.

hopefully one day you will support this resolution, Iā€™ll let you know when it works with your natural update.

It would be great if OSMC could have a sample of every display and AVR on the planet but itā€™s not very practical. If Iā€™m not mistaken you are the only user reporting this issue. Most interest in 21:9 has come from projector owners.

Turns out one of the devs has an older version of your monitor (on his PC) so weā€™ve got something to work with but every model is slightly different. If you are sticking with OSMC now weā€™ll keep working on it.

1 Like