2160@120Hz

The Vero 4K and 4K+ with HDMI 2.0, is it possible to for them to display the GUI at 120Hz at 4K with chroma sub-sampling as suggested by this table HDMI Wikipedia?

That would be fun to play with :joy:

It is currently not suggested to have the GUI displayed at 4k as no Hardware Acceleration for the GUI is supported. There is no quality improvement for the GUI to be displayed at 4k

Perhaps I’m not aware of this, but if i set the System -> Display -> Resolution to 1080p on my 4K TV, this has no effect on 4K content being displayed at 1080p, it will still be passed trough as 2160p?

Yes – as long as you have Adjust Refresh Rate set.

1 Like

4K120 is possible and there are modelines in the kernel for this; but we don’t expose this option currently.

Yes,

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

1 Like

Thanks, I will tweak and thank you for the work on the 4.9 Linux Kernel - looking crisp.

Is there any smoothness or benefit to enable 1080@120hz for the GUI since 2160p in Kodi is suboptimal, anything that I can test for you on a LG C9?

I don’t think we’re going to see a benefit at this time. It’s probably one of those things that we might want to make available, but not impart an opinion on and see if it’s beneficial to users over time.

Hi @fzinken
Can I ask/check. Which TV’s need / would benefit from this? I have an aged Samsung UE49MU7000 (UK model). On the TV I have HDMI UHD Color set to “on” which supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 input signals. As its the 49" model the panel is actually 8bit (10bit with FRC)

I was wondering if I might need this setting??

Thanks
Paul

Leave it off for now and see if you experience problems.

If you can see a picture, you don’t need it. If the signal drops out and the screen turns black and doesn’t recover until after the video stops playing, then you might.

OK cool. thanks for letting me know …

Okey, so does Vero 4k+ support 4k Video in HDR with 120 hz?

Definitely not. 4K at 60Hz is as high as it goes. You would need a whole new device with HDMI 2.1 to go higher.