30 Second delay after pressing play

I have a couple of these boxes, and have been enjoying them for years. I have a strange issue with one of them.
When I press play, it is taking 25 to 30 seconds for the movie or tv show to play. It has never been like this before. Navigating is all at normal response time, and once the file is playing it is fine as well.

Files are in the same place on a good ethernet network, and from a synology server. I have rebooted everything and checked for updates etc. Any other thoughts on trouble shooting? Thanks,

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Logs are here:

https://paste.osmc.tv/avopikojot

(I also direct connected a hard drive, and had the same 30 second delay on hitting play)

try this

Can I ask a really dumb question… where do I enter that code?

Yes, you are correct that I am writing the backups to the NAS. Thanks!

There are two wiki articles about that:

And

Are both boxes using the same settings in settings>system>power saving>?

I don’t think it is related, but you really should clean up your video sources. You have a few that are for individual programs and at least one that is redundant.

Thank you very much!

Entering the code resolved the issue.

Very much appreciate the help.

(and thanks for spotting the messy video sources, I have tidied that as well).

2 Likes

It is a bit unclear to me exactly which change you made to resolve your issue. For the sake of someone else who may find this thread with a similar issue would you mind clarifying a bit what you changed.

1 Like

Here is what I did to fix the delay in pressing play:

If you have a keyboard connected, you can log in locally by exiting Kodi:

• Navigate to the power icon in Kodi
  • Select Exit/Quit
  • Wait for the OSMC splash screen to appear
  • Press ESC on your keyboard
  • Login to your device using osmc for the username and password.

Default Username and Password

• username = osmc
  • password = osmc

Then enter this text:

rm .kodi/temp/*

Then reboot the device.

And it resolved the issue for me.

For some reason this issue has started happening again.

Only this time, I am not able to follow the process that worked earlier.

When I go to login with the username, the text is mostly off the screen, I can enter the username, and then it just jumps to the Kodi home screen.

I am assuming that an update has changed something, as there have been no changes to the setup.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this? (again…)

Thanks very much,

I’m not sure about the local login issue, although the text being off the screen I’m sure is your TV’s overscan setting needing to be changed. If you have a fairly modern PC you should be able to just go to a terminal and type in ssh osmc@<ip address of your device> to get terminal access.

Or you can skip the command line and in Kodi go to settings>media>general> and enable the show hidden files and directories option. Then go to settings>file manager>root>home>osmc>.kodi> then highlight the temp folder, then context menu>delete>yes. You can then go to the power option in the home screen and select the “exit” option which will restart Kodi and create a new temp folder.

You can skip the command line and in Kodi go to settings>media>general> and enable the “show hidden files and directories” option as well as the “show add source buttons”. Then go to settings>file manager>add source>browse>home folder and then click OK, and then OK to save the new location. You can then click on your new source called “osmc” which points to your home folder and then to .kodi, then highlight the temp folder, then context menu>delete>yes. You can then go to the power option in the home screen and select the “exit” option which will restart Kodi and create a new temp folder.

Thanks,
I am not making any progress here…
I did this:
settings>media>general> and enable the show hidden files and directories option.
But when I go to:
settings>file manager>root>
I don’t see any other paths.

I tried the ssh from a mac terminal, and got into osmc.
But all that comes up is this:
osmc@osmc:~$ rm.kodi/temp/*

-bash: rm.kodi/temp/*: No such file or directory

Any other suggestions or advice appreciated.

Thanks,

rmspace.kodi/temp/*

rm .kodi/temp/*

Thanks, I see what I missed.
Now getting this:

osmc@osmc:~$ rm .kodi/temp/*

rm: cannot remove ‘.kodi/temp/archive_cache’: Is a directory

rm: cannot remove ‘.kodi/temp/fonts’: Is a directory

rm: cannot remove ‘.kodi/temp/scrapers’: Is a directory

rm: cannot remove ‘.kodi/temp/temp’: Is a directory

osmc@osmc:~$

You have to make it recursive since there are subfolders (although that did actually delete what you needed it to)

rm -r .kodi/temp
systemctl restart mediacenter

I’m not sure how it is that you don’t see anything under root with show hidden files enabled. It worked for me.

Thank you.

All fixed and working as expected now.

Appreciate everyones assistance.

Thanks!

1 Like

Glad to hear this.

@darwindesign

Now this has been resolved, I would like to mention something about what you have said.
You said, “in Kodi go to settings>media>general> and enable the show hidden files and directories option”.

By “Kodi”, do you mean through the OSMC skin or is there some other way?

If I go through the OSMC skin to settings>media>general> and with the “show hidden files and directories option” un-enabled, when I go to settings>file manager, it shows two identical columns. A column shows:
Root (which I can’t select), Profile directory & Add source. Selecting Profile directory lists 15 different items.

I then changed settings>media>general> and enabled the show hidden files and directories option.

Go back to settings>file manager, what is shown is the same as before: “Root (which I STILL can’t select), Profile directory & Add source. Selecting Profile directory lists 15 different items.”

What am I doing wrong?

Your listening to me :grin:

Once I switched over to the OSMC skin it was kind of obvious the confusion. Kodi put a directory path label called “Root” at the top level as that has no business being there due to it not making any sense :wink:

Also It didn’t occur to me that I had added root as a location years ago and it isn’t there by default. Soooo

You can skip the command line and in Kodi go to settings>media>general> and enable the “show hidden files and directories” option as well as the “show add source buttons”. Then go to settings>file manager>add source>browse>home folder and then click OK, and then OK to save the new location. You can then click on your new source called “osmc” which points to your home folder and then to .kodi, then highlight the temp folder, then context menu>delete>yes. You can then go to the power option in the home screen and select the “exit” option which will restart Kodi and create a new temp folder.