3D audio passthrough issue (handshaking)?

Hi guys

I have a strange issue here, that I am assuming is due to the Vero 4k+ (but not 100% sure tho).

I have an Oppo 103D Blu-ray player that I use for 3d blu-ray discs. The player is just awesome and also has a nice video filter that aids in sharpening up 1080p video sources very nicely. The filter is in particular useful for 3d video, as it both sharpens and brightens up the image a bit. So, in order to take advantage of the Oppo filter also for my 3d isos on my Vero 4k+, I decided to route the Vero 4k+ through the Oppo 103D, which was a super success picture/videowise.

But audio, however, is an issue. And here is my problem: when playing 3d ISOs on the Vero 4k+, passed through HDMI on the Oppo 103D, no audio is being fed into my receiver from the Vero 4k+ in case the audio track is lossless (DTS Master or True DD), but PCM audio works fine (and some AC3 tracks).

Hmmm… ok, so my first suspicion was that there was too much data for the Oppo to process (when playing 3d and lossless audio together), but I quickly surrendered that idea. I tried running my ps4 through the Oppo, playing both MAD MAX and TRANSFORMERS Last Knight in 3d (both with Atmos tracks) and it played with no issues at all through the Oppo. Also tried some other discs with DTS or DD lossless and also played fine.

So, I am at a loss as to why my receiver is not getting fed the lossless audio from the Vero 4k+ when the Vero is passed through the Oppo (if the Vero 4k+ is plugged directly into the receiver everything works fine).

Note: When playing 2d film isos on the Vero 4k+, passed through the Oppo, the receiver gets the lossless audio just fine. So the issue seems to be limited to the combination of 3d video and lossless audio from the Vero 4k+.

Do you have any idea as to what may be causing this? My best guess is that there is some kind of handshaking issue between the Vero 4k+ and the Oppo, but that is very strange given that the video from the Vero passes through just fine (and that 2d + lossless passes through just fine).

Grateful for any help/suggestions.

Thanks.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Thanks for the quick reply, I will get the log sharing done tomorrow.

1 Like

The URL: https://paste.osmc.tv/alasogopaw

I own an Oppo 105D, which presumably works similarly to the 103D, and its HDMI inputs are not capable of accepting DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD streams. So it’s probably the Oppo that’s the problem, not the Vero 4K+.

Your best bet is probably to turn off audio pass-through and send everything to the Oppo as 7.1 channel PCM (which the Oppo can handle). Of course you’ll lose Atmos this way, but 7.1 audio will still work fine. If you need Atmos then you’ll have to forget about going through the Oppo.

(The Oppo inputs also can’t handle 4K video, of course).

Thanks so much for this input, angry.sardine!

Yes, the 103D and 105D are identical in this respect, as I think the only difference between the players pertain to the 105D’s balanced stereo outputs and superior stereo DAC (similar to the difference between the later 203 and 205 players).

Your input seems to settle the issue, as I just checked again with 2d ISO passthrough from Vero 4k+ to Oppo, and while the passthrough infact worked, the audio passed through was only DTS 5.1 not DTS-HD. I assume that was the case also when I tested 3d blu-ray on my ps4 through the oppo (I only briefly checked to see that the receiver was getting sound in the intro of the film when using passthrough, did not see what the actual stream was - assume only DTS 5.1, not Atmos).

Well, I will just use PCM then from Vero 4k+ to Oppo. Should not be a big deal, as only a few 3d blu-ray titles have Atmos (and I can watch those on disc on the Oppo). Most 3d-blurays rock only DTS-HD or DD HD, presumably due to size capacity on disc.

For me, it is a very awesome combo having the video filter of the Oppo on top of the Vero 4k+ video feed for all my 3d iso playback.

Thanks again for the feedback!