3D Full TAB/SBS support

Hello everyone.
I’m using Vero 4K+ mostly for 3D content.
For MVC 3D or Half SBS/TAB it works flawlessly (almost). But it fails to work with Full SBS/TAB movies.
It can detect and trigger stereoscopic, but diplay incorrectly.
For example, for full TAB (1920x2160), it display 3D content in a square in the center of screen.
Any suggestion please?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

CC @tanio99

This is your requested log.
https://paste.osmc.tv/cusivajoxe
Thanks.

Hi,

there’s no need for logs, it’s a known problem. Full SBS/TAB is currently not supported.

I’m sorry, I haven’t had time yet to look into that issue. There’re just way too many things on my TODO list :frowning: .

@tanio99
Sorry to hear that :slightly_frowning_face:

@tanio99 , @sam_nazarko
I’d like to contribute on this feature (maybe overwhelm for me, but I’ll try)
Would you give me some clue to have a quicker start?

Hi,

You’d need to be familiar with cloning OSMC sources and building Kodi, which I can assist you with.

My understanding is that the SBS/TAB issue actually comes from the Kodi rendering system, but I am sure @tanio99 can correct if I am wrong.

Sam

I’m experienced with the GIT and building stuff.
But will be easier if you give me a hint, like which part of source should be focused for this fix.

I had a look at that Full-SBS/TAB issue before we switched to the 4.9 kernel. And at that time there were a couple of issues that needed to be solved.

• It starts with the TV which doesn’t signal a Full-SBS/TAB resolution. But we should already be able to fake that manually.
  • Then we need to handle that resolution in Kodi correctly. I’ve already refactored the 3D resolution handling in Kodi, so it might work out of the box, but that needs to be verified.
  • The next thing is that we need to calculate a correct “video rectangle”. Have a look at the SetVideoRect log messages. They tell us which parts of the video picture should be used/displayed. To get an idea I suggest to play a 2D video, a Half-SBS/TAB and a MVC video and have a look how the SetVideoRect log messages are changing. I can send you a PM later today telling you, how you can manipulate that one without touching Kodi.
  • Then we need to switch to the kernel. At 3.14 times the kernel assumed that SBS means Half-SBS, it doesn’t know that something like Full-SBS (or TAB) exists. I don’t think that has changed in 4.9. This is where the tricky part begins. There are plenty of VPU registers which need to be correctly programmed. And that was completely missing in 3.14.

So to make a long story short, we need to fix Kodi on one hand and the kernel on the other hand. Kodi should be the easier part. Chances are that most of the work is already done there. The kernel will be the tricky part.

If you want to support us then I’ll email you later with instructions on how to start playing around with resolution handling and the video rectangle thing. The outcome of your tests will tell us what we really need to implement. I can’t do those tests myself since I don’t have a TV which supports Full-SBS/TAB.

1 Like

Did we get all this resolved with Full SBS?

I just got my Vero V and loaded it up. The FSBS movies play but it crops the image to the original aspect ratio of the video file, so the top and bottom on the image is cut off.

Stereoscopic playback is the only reason I bought the Vero. I have been using my PC and Kodi plays the files perfectly. I just wanted to have a first world system that played the files automatically that didn’t involve me having a bunch of steps and cable switching with my comp.

Not yet. Parts of the steps that I mentioned above are implemented, but there’re still some things missing. It’s work in progress …