444 10bit output from vero 4k

Cheers for the update Sam, no stress. :+1:

The flickering is less more visible on my projector (Sony VW760: native 4k panel, 18Gbit HDMI, HDR10&HLG compatible) than on my OLED TV.
Therefore the noise in bright areas costs sharpness when using my projector. On the OLED this noise is nearly only visible when you put your nose on the screen.

I am also using the VW760.

Did you compare the picture quality of the Vero to the Apple TV 4K (with Infuse)?

What is your current solution for HDR10-UHD-MKVs?

I’ve a vw260 and have tested almost all the possible solutions (OPPO, Apple TV 4K, shield, zappiti and Vero 4K … with infuse, Kodi, MrMC,…). As i don’t have the problem describe in this thread, I can say the winner is Vero 4K.
TvOS (Apple TV 4K): Infuse and MrMC (and even if the latest update bring in-depth plateform support) are both great but Apple TV 4K doesn’t manage resolution switching and doesn’t support Atmos (at least not yet). I find Infuse a little slow.
Android box: Shield is also great but not manage the color space switching (problem of all android base box as it does not provide it in their API). Zappity (I’m not a fan of the interface) is an alternative to Kodi (even if you can install Kodi in it).
Oppo 203 is great but for the moment is really slow to launch a movie and have some problems with some MKV. HDMI handshake is really slow too but it has image passthrough.

For the image, once again my favorite is Vero 4K: it’s just a little more « fluid ». Not like motion flow but litttle more fluid than other box. The colors are the same as my Oppo 203: I clearly prefer to let my destination manage the image (and as much as possible, as a passthrough - no filter on the box). The speed of loading a movie and HDMI hand shake is another world on this box. Like all Kodi, you can use UpNP control and so use the Synology VideoStation (which is really nice to choose and launch your movies) or use the Kodi remote control app.

In all case, (I repeat, I don’t have the problem describe in this thread) I really prefer all the possiblities and support OSMC provides.
If you like Kodi, this is definitively the best box.

I will keep my Apple TV4K for AirPlay and Netflix, my oppo for my UHD and HD physical support and Vero 4K for the rest :wink:

4 Likes

I swear you have the noise issue too, because I tested it on a friends VW260 in his environment with the same results using the Vero4k. You will not see the noise from your usual seeting position, but if you stand nearby your screen. This would be no issue if this noise would not cost picture sharpness/details.
I‘m testing it with a scene from passengers. I will post the the timestamp of the scene (when Jim comes out of the lift and you can see Jims face with two bright light stripes on the left and right side on the lift) in the evening.

Ok let me know the exact timestamp and I will check it. I will compare with the shield and atv player. I suppose you are testin on uhd rmx?

What do you mean with that the ATV does not manage the colour space switching? It seems to work for me…

Timestamp is 32:46. Pause the movie and have a look at the bright bars to the right and left of Jim’s head. As already mentioned you can see the noise only if you stand near the screen (my screen has a diagonal of 120").
I did only recognize it because I missed the sharpness I was used to see when watching the same movie with my UHD player. So I went near to the screen and recognized the noise in the picture.
As already written thie issue is not limited to the Vero4K because I tried other boxes based on S905/S912 chipset using LibreELEC with the same result. Interestingly using Kodi under Android solves this issue. So it has to be SW and not HW related.

If you set HDR, atv will always use bt2020. If you set SDR, it will always use rec709…

… you can configure the ATV to automatically use the appropriate color space. I do not see the problem.

No you can only configure frame rate and dynamic range… not the color space :wink:

Ok thanks I will test it ASAP

Why do you want SDR with bt 2020?

No indeed you have right, the real problem is the resolution switching… that does not allowed to let you destination do the upscale . with all those tests I was disturbed :wink:

I confirm the problem on Vero 4K too but not present on Atv4k and on Oppo 203. You have to be really closed the screen to see it but it is there.
Looks like small flickering in the white. Will wait for Sam fix to see if it solve the problem.

It builds now – the failure was unrelated.
You can follow the instructions I sent previously.

Thanks for testing and the confirmation. So let‘s wait and see that it hopefully gets fixed anytime soon.

Just wanted to report that the test build has resolved the flickering at 2160p 24hz in my test clip. :+1:

Hopefully the same will be true for others that are testing as well - certainly looks like this is well on the way to getting sorted.

Was just about to post, the flickering is gone in all refresh rates, however there’s dithering issues instead, showing visible banding. Sam thinks this should be solvable, so we’re definitely making progress!

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uym96d51t6f3ct3/HDR_Flicker_10bit24fps.mp4?dl=0 here’s a test video i made which clearly shows the hdr flickering in 24hz. Its no longer flickering but instead banding.

This thread has been derailed by miles… nothing to do with 10/12bit anymore :slightly_frowning_face: