4k+ Crashes Reproducibly on Music Library Scan

I received my 4k+ yesterday and I’m having some trouble. I’m observed 2 issues:

• The first time booting after updating it crashed (I got the blue :frowning: emoji). After rebooting again it worked fine and I don’t have debug logs or anything so I guess this is hard to fix but I thought i’d be good to mention.

• Every time (stock version and after the update) I scan my music library OSMC crashes ( blue :frowning: again ).

I have been using XBMC/Kodi on a windows PC for years and I never had this issue so I’m a bit confused about this. It’s probably a bad tag or something (I’ll try tonight to make debug logs). However, a bad tag shouldn’t crash the whole system imho…

Some extra info about the setup:

• video/audio go over HDMI and I’m using CEC (works great besides that my tv remote doesn’t have a context menu button :p)
  • I have the OSMC remote and a Logitech wireless keyboard plugged in the USB ports (both work fine)
  • files are on a samba network share with a username/password (seems to work fine)

Besides fixing the bad tag(s) and waiting until osmc/kodi fixes the issue is there something else I can try? Maybe use a different scraper? Recommendations?

cheers

jiq

Are you scanning FLAC files? I’ve come across crashs with FLACs that had wrong ID tags some time ago… Have a look here, if this might be the issue: Music library update crashes 4k - #7 by Chillbo

I found that one too, I searched for *.flac but nothing came up. I don’t think I have any FLAC files.

Then logs will probably help the most…

1 Like

You can just remap the key and add one.
Go to /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/remote.xml and pick a key that you don’t use and change it to ContextMenu.
For example I use the red media key for the Context Menu.
My partial .xml looks like this under <global>

<red>ContextMenu</red>
  <green>ActivateWindow(Videos)</green>
  <yellow>ActivateWindow(Music)</yellow>
  <blue>ActivateWindow(Pictures)</blue>

Unfortunately a bad file can sometimes cause Kodi to crash. You can try splitting the files in to two and then seeing if only one folder causes a crash. If so – you can then split that folder again until you find the affected file.

Sam

Here I uploaded a log: [log link removed] (how do I remove this later?)

It seems to be a wma file (but no details why, I chose ‘all logs’ is there way to get more detail?), wma is supported right? it was never an issue under windows, is that a factor?

The log will expire after a period of time.

WMA is indeed supported. If it’s just one file – then it might be problematic or the tags may be causing a crash.

Sam

Turns out I have literally 1 WMA file in my 10k or so music library… and indeed that one made everything crash. So the work around is easy (I renamed it). However, shouldn’t this be fixed (in kodi I mean)?

I’m not sure Kodi can fix problematic files. It should handle things more gracefully, yes. But that’s one for Kodi to fix.

Glad this is solved