4K HDMI profiles for 24p HDR content playback

Good day, I tried searching but couldn’t find the answer I’m looking for and I’m new to OSMC and ready to purchase a Vero 4K + if it can satisfy my below requirement.

My projector (Optoma UHD40) only supports 12-bit 4:4:4 and not 4:2:2 at 23.98 Hz which seems odd. When I play 10-bit 4:2:0 4K 24p HDR content from my Nvidia Shield TV my projector only displays 8-bit color and produces colour banding.

With my Nvidia Shield TV I can play these files in 10-bit 4:2:2 without colourbanding but only at refresh rates of 50/60 Hz and this leads to judder which is unacceptable to me (this seems to be the norm since HDMI sadly didn’t spec a profile for 10-bit 4:2:0 @ 23.98 Hz).

Can Vero 4K+ play these media files correctly, i.e. upconvert 4:2:0 10-bit Rec.2020 to 4:4:4 12-bit Rec.2020 at a refresh rate of 23.98 Hz?

Your advice will be immensely appreciated.

If your projector advertises deep colour support, Vero will output everything supported (including 4K24p) at 444 10bit.

If it’s necessary to signal 12 bits to get a picture that can be done.

1 Like

I think the default is 4:2:2 now (even without forcing 4:2:2 output).

@grahamh: you may want to check data byte 1 Y0-2 of AVI InfoFrame. I haven’t had time to look in detail, but I remember seeing InfoFrame errors on the analyzer.

@snorbaard - I’m stalking you now :rofl:

1 Like

Here, my AVR is reporting 444 10bit. And that’s what we aimed for when deep colour support is signaled.

Which default? Vero defaults to 444.

Interesting. I will check again.

@grahamh: default for HDR 4K 24Hz

@grahamh - if this is indeed the case that 4K 10-bit 4:2:0 24p can be played back as 4K 12-bit 4:4:4 @ 24 Hz then I might have found my solution to my dilemma

@wesk05 - thanks for taking an interest in this matter I appreciate it

@snorbaard if you are considering purchasing the device, you may wish to do so through our reseller

Otherwise we need to use a courier service (SAPO is problematic) which is costly.

Sam

@sam_nazarko - Hi thanks for your reply, when I saw it on your reseller website that you linked that is when I considered it seriously :wink: SAPO is extremely problematic, I’m all too familiar with their shenanigans.

I’m very pleased to see you have active support and developmnet for this device and that gives me a lot of hope.

2 Likes

@Chillbo, @grahamh : Disregard my previous posts. They were “fake news” as my President would have said :smile:

The 4:2:2 thing was Amazon Fire TV 4K related and the InfoFrame error was related to a configuration loaded on the analyzer.

Quick update, for over 3 years my Vero 4K+ has been serving me well by allowing me to play 4K HDR 23.98 fps files @ 23.98 Hz 10-bit 4:4:4 YCbCr on my Optoma 4K projector.

Nvidia Shield TV couldn’t do it and today I received an Apple TV 4K (2021) and it also can’t. Which means, there is no way for me to play back 4K HDR Netflix content judder free from the ATV, either I get judderless 23.98 Hz in 8-bit with severe banding or I get 10-bit 4:2:0 but only at 50/60 Hz. Crazy.

While I agree this is a shortcoming of my Optoma UHD40 I am grateful that the Vero 4K+ has allowed me to get great value from it nonetheless.

Glad to hear this.

We’re going to keep supporting things for a while yet. See Vero 4K + support and manufacturing updates - OSMC.

Sam