4k HDR too dim/dark

Hi Sam,

I switched HDR on and off on the TV and in the game menu screen. Just like on osmc switching on and off on the TV made no noticeable difference. However, switching on and off in the game menu did make a very noticeable difference.

To clarify: are you saying switching HDR only makes a difference on the device; not on the TV?

If you set 10-bit via rc.local then the difference would only be visible when this sysfs parameter is unset.

We are not far off autoswitching at all now, so stay tuned.

Sam

Will do, hopefully that implementation will fix my issue.

Any updates?

Three years later, and yes there’ve been lots of updates. 10-bit output is now ‘standard’ but that was never the issue. This is about tonemapping. If you have kept your device updated you will now be on Kodi Matrix (19.1) and linux kernel 4.9.113. On the old kernel there were some problems with HDR metadata passthrough which would have affected movies with extreme values like Mad Max.

If you have not updated, please do that and let us know how it goes.

3 Likes

Looks like I am on “OSMC August 2021 2021.08-1”.

This is what is in /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

cur_VIC: 16
cur_video_param->VIC=16
cur_video_param->colordepth: 10bit
para->colorspace: 444
AVIF VIC: 16
VIC: 16 1920x1080p60hz
Colour depth: 10-bit
Colourspace: YUV444
Colour range: limited
EOTF: SDR
YCC colour range: limited
Colorimetry: BT709
PLL clock: 0xc000029a, Vid clock div 0x000b0000
Aspect ratio: 16:9/full frame
audio config: on
audio on/off: on
audio source: I2S
audio type: L-PCM
audio channel num: 2 channels
audio sample rate: 44.1kHz
audio sample size: MAX
3D config: off

Shouldn’t this be HDR and not SDR?

EDIT: Playing 4K content I get this:

cur_VIC: 93
cur_video_param->VIC=93
cur_video_param->colordepth: 10bit
para->colorspace: 444
AVIF VIC: 93
VIC: 93 3840x2160p24hz
Colour depth: 10-bit
Colourspace: YUV444
Colour range: limited
EOTF: HDR10
YCC colour range: limited
Colorimetry: BT2020nc
PLL clock: 0xc000029a, Vid clock div 0x000b0000
Aspect ratio: 16:9/full frame
audio config: on
audio on/off: on
audio source: I2S
audio type: L-PCM
audio channel num: 8 channels
audio sample rate: 48kHz
audio sample size: MAX
3D config: off

I updated again to the latest update and am still having the same issue. Could this potentially be hardware-related and require replacements such a TV and/or an nvidia shield?

It might be a good to post some recent debug logs so the guys can check that there isn’t anything weird going on. Also, have you tried playing the same video on another device and, if so, did it look different? If the Vero is the only device you’ve tried it on then it could conceivably be a problem with the TV’s tone-mapping rather than with the player.

I connected my TV to my PC and played the HDR content and there was a noticeable difference.

Was the PC outputting RGB or YUV? Full range or limited? How sure are you that it was passing the metadata correctly? And was it definitely sending 10-bit video?

Is there any diagnostics I can use to confirm or deny this?

From what you posted above, Vero is sending HDR to your TV. Does the TV recognise it as HDR? (often there’s an on-screen message and you may have to turn that on). What are the settings on your display?

Yes there is a message with text stating HDR10 2160P that appears when HDR content begins playing. The white/brightness on that text is much brighter than the content being played.

I played the same file on OSMC via NFS and USB and got the same dimming. However, when playing it directly off USB on the TV there is no dimming, and looks as intended.

I’m guessing you mean when playing from Vero. Do you see the same when playing from PC? It could be outputting SDR or HDR depending on your operating system, media player software and graphics card.

I’m sure the answer lies in the settings on your TV. If you tell us the make and model, we might be able to find something in its manual.

The model is a Vizio M55-E0. I haven’t tried with testing with the PC for some time but for some reason I was getting the same results as with the Vero this time, it seems only with the USB I was getting the non-dimmed results, see below:

Vero

USB TV

PC

I took those with my phone so the quality isn’t the greatest but it does show a difference.

IC. I wouldn’t necessarily call that ‘dim’ as they all look similar in overall ‘brightness’ unless your phone is compensating and exposing the Vero/PC rendering more. The USB rendering does seem more saturated and possibly a higher dynamic range. Whether this is ‘correct’ is impossible to say. Only a proper calibration would answer that.

Your TV has a ‘vivid’ mode and a ‘Pure Cinema’ mode which would be worth exploring but it’s not clear whether those settings apply to all inputs (HDMI x 3 and USB) or just to the input in use at the time you set them.

Those modes apply to all inputs.

How does this look when playing back via a UHD BD player e.g.?