4k video - too dark

Good to hear, I have a non-HDR 4K as well… either way, 5 year support & seeing you active on the support forums def proves I made the right choice choosing Vero instead of Shield.

Same issue here with my new Vero.

I have a 4k tv but it doesn’t have HDR and is an 8bit panel. I do have some .mkv files 2160p 10bit with HDR that look fantastic when played through my Samsung uhd player, but when played through the Vero they are very dark and colourless, to the point of being unwatchable.

My 2160p 10bit non HDR files look great on the Vero though

Happy to hear Sam is aware and working on a fix.

Hi Sam, just installed the June update, and my HDR files still look really really dark. They are BT 2020 files. Will there be a fix for this? Is it possible? As I said earlier, they look great on my Samsung UHD Player.

I believe the fix is possibly coming in the next update

1 Like

Cool, do you know if thats a mid month or the July update?

No idea, i just know Sam mentioned something in one of the other threads about the new video scheme coming but it was split up. Sam would really need to confirm this himself.

Hi,

I will start a testing thread for the next set of improvements shortly; as I’d like to get some feedback before anything is included in OSMC.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Just to add to this discussion. I DO have an HDR compatible set, but the HDR movies I have are also really dark, to the point of being unwatchable. Would appreciate an update on the fix/ETA.

Cheers
Brian

Have you tried the HDR10 improvements? This should resolve the issue for you

Sam

Well for me personally, my original set broke down and has since been replaced with a new and HDR compatible set…

Try: [TESTING] 10-bit, HDR and dithering improvements

Thanks for the heads-up, Sam. I suspect, this time it was PEBCAK, or issues with available resolutions being reported incorrectly from my TV. Seemed to be working fine last night, with HDR kicking in when expected. Will try the experimental build in due course to see if any further improvements are visible. Cheers!