4K videos playing wrong size on Vero V

The 4K video’s are playing only in the upper left corner, even when I set the UI at 2160.
The UI also displays only in the upper left corner.

I connected the Vero V direct to the LG
I tryed several movies including one of the kodi site.
CEC On or Off
Adjust picture freqentcy start/stop
I used the the HDMI cabel dilivered with the Vero V

The Vero 4K+ plays everything fine… and also my STB plays UHD fine on the LG
After several days of trying and reading the forum I can’t isolate the problem no further then the Vero V.

An Ultra disappointed customer

Have you installed updates to make sure your on the most up to date version? Can you provide logs.

Keep the UI at 1080p and post some logs. This should be straight forward to solve but we need more information.

What log components should I chose? Only video or…

Just a standard set of debug logs.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Recently we made some changes to support a true 4K framebuffer. I saw this bug earlier on but we fixed it by adjusting the scaling code.

There might be a couple of corner cases. Don’t worry - we will get this working for you promptly.

I’ll jump in and note that I saw this behaviour when checking out the development branch. Reverting back to vero5-media-center-osmc:20.2.0-11 (which is what is in the release branch) fixes it for me. (have examined it a couple of times, up through 20.2.0-17) I’ll note I also played with the video display settings a bit, for example, noticed if I set it to play the video at “original size” instead of “normal” the video would increase to about 2/3 of the screen, but get partially cut off. If I blacklisted (unchecked from whitelist) all the 4k modes it would resize the video to 1080p and otherwise play normally.

I haven’t seen a forum thread about the testing/development branch, so figured you were not ready to hear complaints from idiots like me who want to play around with the dev version… If you think you need more logs I can switch back to the development branch and generate some.

That would be good as I plan to make the staging repository contents part of a stable update soon – ideally before Christmas so we can roll up a number of fixes.

I am aware of a couple of issues that need checking, but this wasn’t one of them, so if you can update to the staging repository and get logs again, I’d be much obliged and we’ll do our best to turn around fixes promptly

Best

Sam

Here is a picture of what is happening: https://github.com/randallspicher/kodi-extras/blob/master/screenshots/vero5-4k-display-error.jpg?raw=true

Note the whole video is actually displayed (nothing getting “chopped off”) but it’s just squished into the upper left corner instead of filling the entire screen, including any UI elements when I bring them up:

and here are the logs:

https://paste.osmc.tv/afuxezacom

Perfect, thanks.

This will be a direct result of the changes we made here: My image viewer is in low resolution - #112 by sam_nazarko

We’ll investigate.

@Ad_Patat1 We haven’t seen any logs from you but I suspect you’re on a test version of OSMC, because the stable version will not be impacted.

Reinstalling OSMC from Reinstalling OSMC - Vero V - OSMC should do the trick

Cheers

Sam

And here is the log from me

Vero V at 2160

Thanks. I’ll check that shortly.

Did you experience this problem before updating to the testing repository and installing Java (presumably for Blu-ray menu support)?

If not – you may wish to stay on the stable version of OSMC for now if you are disappointed; otherwise you can wait for us to work on a fix. We should have a time frame soon.

Your EDID reports a FullHD Visio and you have a disp_cap file including 4k, even 4k interlaced modes. What are you trying to achieve?

Yes, I have a blu-ray test disc and since a while is de menu working OK (in the upper-left corner).
The disp_cap file was the ultimate last try to get a full picture frame… also no go.
I wait for a fix, till then I use my good old Vero 4K.

My vizio has a notoriously broken/brain-dead edid that fails to report 90% of the modes it is capable of,
so I was forced to create a disp_cap to override to get the vero to just send those modes directly to the TV rather than have the vero dumb everything down to the lowest-common-denominator modes. For example, playing 25hz or 50hz videos look like crap when converted to 30hz or 60hz, compared to just playing them at the video’s native rate. And the 4k looks better on the tv when sent natively as 4k rather than down-coverted first, which is why I included those modes. (and a few of my full-sbs titles only show the 3d correctly when the 4k modes are there, since the it needs to send the full 3840 width to the tv)

That’s a serious PITA. I don’t think that’s what’s causing the quarter-sized picture but FWIW there’s no such thing as interlaced at more than 1920x1080. But if that’s what it takes, what do I know?

A better solution would be to make an EDID file and tell Vero to load that from disk. Then Vero would have other information it needs. The only Visio EDID I have in my collection is for a M65Q8-H1, which doesn’t do 3-D. What model is yours?

On closer inpection, there’s nothing broken about your EDID, it’s consistent but just incomplete.

We knew US TVs tend to omit 25/50Hz modes, but if they are supported why not say so in the EDID? Strange logic.

This is a real puzzle. So your TV actually supports 4k input but doesn’t have a 4k panel? Or is your AVR downscaling? And your link between 3D modes and having 4k in disp_cap makes no sense to me. Was this discussed elsewhere in here, with @tanio99, maybe?

Does that quarter sized picture also appear if you set the GUI to 4k?

Yes indeed :frowning: