5 GHz WiFi dropouts / disconnections

Hi,

Has anyone managed to succesfully establish a stable 5 GHz wifi connection to the RPi3?

Recently bought a Raspberry Pi 3, and after having done some research, the Edimax EW-7811UTC wifi USB adapter to go with it.

Managed to get OpenElec to run on it, connecting to my 5 GHz network was easy enough, but every time I try to stream an online video or connect to my shared external HDD, I get dropouts / it loses the connection momentarily. Very inconvenient. Can’t even get through a whole episode of GoT without losing connection at some point.

I also tried OSMC, but it doesn’t make any difference. Same dropouts. None of my other devices (eg. my Chromecast connected to same TV) have this issue. It works just fine on 2.4 GHz band, but that is just a lot slower and more congested where I am.

Can anyone tell me how I can make the connection good without dropouts? Will gladly buy another wifi dongle if it will then work…

I am unfortunately not able to use a wired connection as my router is in the far end of the other room and I’m not allowed / not able to make a hole in the wall.

My setup:

• Raspberry Pi 3
  • OpenELEC 7.0 Beta 3 / OSMC June 2016
  • Edimax EW-7811UTC
  • TP-Link Archer C9 v2 (with most recent firmware, recently reset and reconfigured)

Thanks so much in advance!