64bit Kernel + 32 Bit Userland for RPi3

As a Vero 4K user, it doesn’t take me long to notice the uncommon but perfectly understandable of 64bit Kernel + 32bit Userland configuration for OSMC. It serves me well as a media box and home NAS combo, together with an external hard drive.

Recently I would like to replicate this setup for my parent with a spare RPi3. Quickly I notice the 18T external hard drive cannot be recognized by OSMC on RPi3. The ‘dmesg’ shows a line like below:

EXT4-fs (sda1): filesystem too large to mount safely on this system

A quick search lead to this thread on RPi fourm: Cannot mount EXT4 18TB USB3.0 HDD Error: filesystem too large to mount safely on this system. This turned out to be limitation of 32bit kernel. :frowning:

Earlier this year, RPi Upstream has started providing 64bit kernel for RPi 3 and above. Currently only OSMC for RPi 4 provides 64bit kernel along with 32bit userland.
With the upcoming Bullseye release, may I know if there’s a plan to expand the current RPi4-Only image to support RPi3 as well?

Thanks,

There’s no plan to do this. I am considering a complete Aarch64 environment for both Pi4 and Vero in the future

Sam

In that complete Aarch64 future, would it be possible to support RPi3/3+ as well?

I don’t have plans to do this as I don’t see performance benefits but rather regressions.

The Pi2/3 user base is also dropping significantly in favour of Vero and Pi 4.

Hi,

is there any update regarding 64bit support for RPI3 or RPI4? Currently I am running OSMC on a RPI3 and I also have a instance of Nextcloud 25.x running.

As of Nextcloud 26.x a 64bit version of PHP would be required.

Regards
Thomas

Not at this time. I’ll probably look in to it for the next version of Debian (Debian 12) or Kodi version. There will be a lot of work and a reinstall will be required.

You could just run Nextcloud in a Docker container

Hi Sam,

thank you for your statement. Yes getting it in future would be good. I am quite sure that I am not the only one who wants to install additional software and then 64bit would be a big advantage as it is getting a per-requisite for multiple programs.

Thanks,
Tombar

You can already run ARM64 binaries.

I’ll do a 64-bit release for Pi 4; but will drop Pi 2 / 3 support when I do so.

Many thanks

Sam

1 Like

Hi Sam,

In your recent post, you mentioned dropping Pi 2 support when moving to complete 64bit with Debian 12.

Since Pi 3 was not called out there, may I know if Pi 3 will remain supported in the full 64bit world?

Thanks,

Yes, the Pi 3 will remain supported.

Technically Pi 2 v1.2 models will stay supported too, as they support ARM64. But the original Pi 2 itself won’t be supported.

1 Like