64gb osmc install

Hey guys,

I bought a bigger micro sd (64 GB) and installed osmc on it via the installer.

Sadly it shows always only “used:572 M” and “Avail: 13GB” and a second Filesystem of 240 M in osmc system info storage.

How can I make it the 64 GB? I run out of space with the 14 GB…

This doesn’t sound logic. Are you sure it is a 64G card?

1. Use fdisk to check if there is unused space after the 14G Partition

2. If the data is not important test the Card in Windows machine with H2Test

Is this a raspberry pi? Because you are posting in the Vero 4k sub.

1 Like

It’s a vero 4k.

It’s a 64 GB. Everytime I Format it with windows using list disk it formats it to a 64 GB. It shows 64 GB in explorer. Then I install osmc in it and it shows 239 MB in windows. Putting it in my vero it shows above written storage information.

It thinks or treats it like it is a 16 GB…

In Windows no unused space is shown, it only shows it as a 239 MB partition.

You don’t need to install OSMC on the sdcard unless you are trying to reinstall the V4K. It has its own storage for the OS. Format the card as you like in Windows and simply insert if you are just trying to add additional storage.

Really?

I didn’t know that… Which format do I need to have it? Fat32? Or doesn’t matter?

And all the library information it puts on the ad card then? Because my library is huge

How do i update kodi then if it has its own osmc sooner or later when kodi 18 is out of alpha?

If you don’t want to use the SD Card on windows you should format it within the Vero4K and use EXT4.
If you also want to use it on Windows format it to exFat.

Well you will have to copy your movies onto the SD card than it will be there.
The configurations and also the Library Database normally remains on the internal storage of the Vero4K which is large enough.

OSMC which is running from the internal emmc is automatically updated when you update either via MyOSMC or the command line

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry, I maybe didn’t put it right. My library is on my NAS. So I only need the SD card for library information.

I always use for scraping only local information. But it copies the local information onto my system osmc.

A user with all library scanned in has around 3.2 GB. Since we have 5 to 6 family members the 14 GB are not enough.

Now I understand why it always showed it as 14 GB. Because it didn’t use my formatted and installed osmc on SD card, it used the internal storage. But this internal storage is not enough for my library and my kodi users. A kodi user had as said 3.2 GB and I need around 5 to 6 users.

So how can I store this data, or how can I use osmc in a way it can handle my huge library? Or in other words: how can I extend the system storage or in best case make one system partition with my 64 GB?

Also I see a problem now compared to my raspberry pis: here I can’t make a image of the sd card as backup. I normally always do, when all users are updated, a backup of my sd card on raspberry so I don’t need the library Scan on every TV and raspberry.

How can I do this with the vero?

I’ve mounted my 64GB SDHC-card on /home/osmc/.kodi via fstab. Might be what you are looking for.

I was just going to suggest that but wasn’t sure if you would get boot problems.

But isn’t this a case where MySQL on the NAS is the answer?

I’m using Emby so no MySQL. But even if you use MySQL, if you cache all covers, artwork etc it can take up a lot of space.

Happy that there is a solution. Thanks for sharing. Would you be so kind, since I am a big newbie to share a tutorial which I can use?

I minimized the space necessary. I used emby but it is too slow sometimes. I have all my covers all Metadata on the server but eben with that it need slot or space for actors. As said, my library needs per user 3.2 GB. And that’s only the totally necessary files on the system to run.

Yes, but wouldn’t that space be on the NAS? I’ve never used MySQL BTW.

1 Like

If you could share a solution how to reduce the space even more, let me know please. I am really new to this material.

1 Like

No, MySQL just replaces the sqlite files. Covers/Thumbnails would normally still be in the Kodi folder. You would need to use “special://” to redirect them to the NAS

That would also be a good solution, especially with multiple devices. I had tried it a couple of years ago but my NAS was a bit underpowered so I switched back to local cache.

For the OP:

Either edit advancedsettings.xml and add:

<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://thumbnails </from>
    <to>nfs://nas/thumbnails</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

or edit /etc/fstab and add something like this:

/dev/mmcblk1p1 /home/osmc/.kodi ext4 rw,relatime 0 0

Thanks for your reply. If I understand right the first one copies the thumbnails to the NAS?

I want to mount my SD card as system. Is that possible? So that instead if heaving only the internal 14gb I would have 64 GB. Is that somehow possible?

The second one I don’t understand. How do I tell the system to mount exactly the sd card and how does the system treat the mounted device, as system storage?

That is what the second solution would do but:

1. First you should mount the SD card to another folder and copy your existing kodi folder to it and than mount it.

2. Before that you should read up on fstab and Linux mounting so that you know what happens

Ok thanks, I will try to figure it out. I am a bit disappointed that the system storage is limited like that… I mean sure I am an extreme example, but still it somehow limits the usage of the vero

For most people the system storage will be more than enough. For others even your 64GB might not be enough. It all depends on the size of your library, how much art (thumbnails, fanart, backgrounds etc…) you will store. In your case, since each user has his own problem but accesses the same library you basicly have 5-6 the same data with the exception of probably the status (# times played).

In your case storing the thumbnails with the 1st method I proposed might be the best option as these are (mostly) all the same for all your users. You can either do a path substitution to your NAS or to a fix directory (e.g. /home/osmc/thumbnails).