Acces network drive, samba, router, solution?

Hi People,

I’ve been using a pogoplug e02 running a samba server, the problem with this setup was that the pogoplug was crashing every 4 to 6 days, leaving me with no other option to reset it, causing the hard drive order being wrong again… getting things right took me about 10 minutes fooling around via SSH. The first time wasn’t a big problem, but having this problem reoccurring every few days made it a bit of a pain in the ass.

Last week I’ve gotten my hands on a brand new (extremely cheap) DLink router (DIR636, including an USB port for data sharing connectivity), so i took a shot on that, thus far i’m able to access the content via my computers and phone, but i haven’t been able to get my OSMC to see the files.

OSMC only sees part of the A1 drive (films) via UPNP, that’s not exactly what i want. Basically all i want is an cheap NAS with three USB drives connected to it, is there a way to access the drives like i can in Windows and on my phone (see photo’s).

When i enter the routers IP in Windows Explorer, the drives pop up… figured it should be as easy in OSMC, maybe i’m missing something.

Using RaspPi 2 with latest OSMC build (up to date) Still have my pogoplug, but im not feeling much to transfer everything back again to EXT3 instead of NTFS. and again, since its crashing constantly that wouldnt be an option to me.

Also have some RaspPi 1s is it easy to make a sambaserver/nas with that?

http://imgur.com/a/YyEcT

There’s one or the raspberry pi projects which does the NAS and samba server stuff - I have one set up with 2 HDDs
Derek

in windows, open start menu and type

\ip.address.of.router
and press enter
for example to access my router I type
\  followed by 192.168.1.1

hopefully you will see your drive listed in windows explorer
let me know if you get this far

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, i’ve solved it with throwing away the router and setup an old Rasp Pi as a NAS!

Works like a charm, sadly the trasnfer rates are quite slow (2mbps) probably has to do with the wifi connection i use to transfer from my laptop (the Pi’s are wired).

Tim